cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Condition Red but no known capacity faults - How is this?

N/A

500k was my typical connection speed for over a year- I was happy with that as I'm a reasonable distance from the exchange. Then it went up to 900 and I was even happier. Lately I've only been getting around 100k sometimes much less or zero.
Tests show my exchange condition as Red, caused by "excessive contention". The Plus Net help desk was good (answered in one ring) and explained that the problem was the exchange so other ISPs would be affected and not much they could do ‘till BT upgraded it.
What I don’t understand is this: my friend, nearer the exchange and with another ISP gets near to 6MB. The Plus Net Exchange checker shows that my exchange (Paddock Wood) has a status of Red since October 2006, but that “there are no known capacity faults”
Can someone explain this apparent contradiction please?Assuming there is a problem how can I find when it will be fixed.
Thanks
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Paddock%20Wood&exact=748&plugin=vp

It shows green for me, where does it state it's currently red?
holdtight
Grafter

That exchange link for Paddock wood is showing as red for the 6th Nov Peter so maybe it wasnt updated when you first looked at it, this must be a very recent problem as i notice there`s no eta for a repair/upgrade to be carried out for this exchange

Status Date
red 06 Nov 06
green 30 Oct 06
green 23 Oct 06
green 16 Oct 06
green 09 Oct 06

Mine has been red for some time and BT just keep shunting the fix eta time forward

It was supposed to be on the 13th oct so you can never actually say when it will be done, as always with BT its guesswork waiting and more waiting

The ETA fix time is: 30 Nov 06

Record last updated: 13 Nov 06

Historical information for this exchange:
Status Date
red 06 Nov 06
red 30 Oct 06
red 23 Oct 06
red 16 Oct 06
red 09 Oct 06
Community Veteran

Paddock Wood is green, the top indicator above all the text is the current status, not the first figure in the historical table. There is also no fix ETA because it is green!

It went green between 6th and 13th Nov.
holdtight
Grafter

Your quite right Peter sorry Shockedops:

It was very early is my excuse and im sticking to it Wink
N/A

Thank you for looking at this for me. Condition red came up after doing a test using the speedtester.bt.com site. But I ran the test again just now and it no longer shows red.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 152 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 160 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 120 kbps

I’ve done a speed test from another site I use and got 112k
All pretty poor.

I wonder what influences BT to flag and exchange red?
I’ll go back to the Plus Net help desk and see what they suggest now.
N/A

Virtual paths: Red

BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.

At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.

The ETA fix time is: 18 Nov 06

Record last updated: 13 Nov 06

Historical information for this exchange:

Status Date
06 Nov 06
30 Oct 06
23 Oct 06
16 Oct 06
09 Oct 06

exchange is LVWAL - it's the 20th Nov and the service is getting worse by the day. Barely able to get email now.