Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Announce 60db 1000 user trial starting July 9th

Lorian
Grafter

Dear Plus,

Bt have annonced at 1000 user "60db" test starting July 9th, with full 60db roll out in October!

Can you please confirm you will be happy to register us under the trial, and please confirm that all we have to do this is to place an order on or after July 9th.

Will we need to indicate we are wishing to be trail users.

Many Thanks, Jc

Here is an the most relevant extract from BT's announcement, I'll post the lot if anyone wants it:

The trial will give all our service providers the opportunity to place new
orders for lines between 55db and 60db and it will cover all the exchanges
which are enabled for ADSL. As each order will be handled on an exceptional
basis the availability checker will not be globally updated until the pilot
is completed. The pilot is planned to begin on 9th July and last until
October, but could be shortened depending on the amount of data collected in
the early stages of the trial. Please note that up to a maximum of 1,000
lines will be accepted in this way and will be allocated on a first come
first served basis.

If you would like to be included in the trial, you can contact you chosen
service provider from 9 July 2003 and specify that you would like to join BT
Wholesale’s extended reach pilot. Inclusion is subject to further testing of
your line and costs will depend on your chosen provider. Please note that
service providers can only put forward volunteers from the start of the
trial, so it is best to contact them after 9 July.
41 REPLIES
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback. We are aware of this trial, if we are taking part, we will make an announcement of how to get yourself signed up over the next few weeks.
Lorian
Grafter

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback. We are aware of this trial, if we are taking part, we will make an announcement of how to get yourself signed up over the next few weeks.

Please, please, please DO take part. otherwise it'll mean a change of ISP :-(

thanks,

Jc.
Lorian
Grafter

Hi there,

Any chance of an answer this week? Otherwise I'm in this difficult situation:

Do I wait for Plusnet's decision wether to take part, and run the risk of this be a NO answer, or should I move to an ISP that definitely is going to register people for the trial, and be closer to the top of their queue when their book opens.

Help please. Even if it's a statement of direction, with details to be confirmed later.

Jc.
N/A

You will have to remember that BT are only taking 1000 lines atm. So even if plusnet do put you forward for this there is still only a slim chance at best of being included. If you change ISPs the same will be true. Imagine how you will feal if you do change isp's then dont get accepted for the trial?
Lorian
Grafter

You will have to remember that BT are only taking 1000 lines atm. So even if plusnet do put you forward for this there is still only a slim chance at best of being included. If you change ISPs the same will be true. Imagine how you will feal if you do change isp's then dont get accepted for the trial?

Yes it's 1000 but only 300 people had bothered to contact BTW to pester them, so I don't think it's that slim a chance.

As for how I would feel - much happier than if I did nothing because plusnet did not take part. Chance of getting it then is definitely 0%!

I can keep my dial-up account 'till I know anyway.

Jc.
N/A

This is a very interesting situation, if a little unfair, because BTs internal trial returned a failure rate of 0% i.e. all 100 connections worked perfectly. I'm really happy with plusnet so far and the services they provide can't be matched. However a little help on this subject would be nice.

I have been reading on ADSLguide that some ISPs might start a register for interested parties, I'll be one of them since I failed with 55.6db loss.

I would like the 20:1 service at 512k, will this be in the trial +net?

Jez.
Community Veteran

AFAIK no they are not to be included.

The trials by BT Wholesale did not include the 20:1 contented services and similarly when the rate adaptive product was launched (limits for ADSL 500 where changed from 3.5 -> 5.5km) about 2 years ago, they done the changes on the 50:1 product only initially.

Chris
N/A

Cool Smiley Then it's 21.99 a month Tongue

We are listening plusnet, speak Smiley

Jez..
readingg
Grafter

I am one of the 300 people who bothered to contact BT to pester them.

I think given that I made the effort I should have been given priority, but sadly this is not the case - I will have to fight to be included in the trial like everyone else.

I'll go for home self-install (annual contract) PCI modem please plusnet if you are taking part - I make myself third on your list.
Lorian
Grafter

I am one of the 300 people who bothered to contact BT to pester them.

Me too. At least Openworld aren't advertising it on the television yet :roll:

Jc.
N/A

I contacted them too, but hey it really doesn't matter....

We will just have to see Wink

Jez
Community Veteran

May I suggest posting something like this in the "Ideas and Suggestions" forum? Because that, as well as Customer Feedback, is where most of the PlusNet Comms Team spends it's time at the forums.

Thomas
Ianwild
Grafter

Hi Guys,

I can confirm that we will be taking part in the trial. We will be working out the details, and will have a pre-registration scheme of sorts available before the 9th. We can then submit all pre-registrations at that point and hopefully get everyone onto the trial.

With just 1000 places though, especially given the interest we have seen in this, I would expect that anyone wanting this after the 9th will have little chance. It is of course possible that BT will expand the trial if it is popular enough.

Regards,
Lorian
Grafter

Hi Guys,

I can confirm that we will be taking part in the trial. We will be working out the details, and will have a pre-registration scheme of sorts available before the 9th. We can then submit all pre-registrations at that point and hopefully get everyone onto the trial.

With just 1000 places though, especially given the interest we have seen in this, I would expect that anyone wanting this after the 9th will have little chance. It is of course possible that BT will expand the trial if it is popular enough.

Regards,

Ian, THANKS. thats good news.

I have two requests that I'm sure others in this thread will echo:

Would Plusnet be able to process the orders at or near to 00:01 on the 9th? We wouldn't want to get beaten by the competition ;-)

Could you email us to let us know when the pre-registration is open.

Jc.
note my sources say that the commercial roll-out will now be in September, not October as originally indicated.