cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BRAS gone luppy

N/A

BRAS gone luppy

I always connect at 4.5 or above and never connect at anything less. Suddenly my profile shows 3500 even though I have connected at 4500 or above for weeks. I got a new router last week and have been connecting at 5086 so why is my profile gone mad.

I did a speed test with Plus net and got 1831.7 3 mins later I did the BT one and got 3450

Its interesting that when you do a speed test the download file size varies and with a low profile its only 1.8 meg were as normally its 2meg+
16 REPLIES
N/A

BRAS gone luppy

What on earth are you complaining about? To get 3500 would be heaven as far as I am concerned. I have never achieved more than 2000 and today it is back to 1000. Recent achieved speeds have been as low as 90!!!!!
Complaints and tickets to PlusNet are to no avail whatever, the problem is apparently out there in the wired ether and neither BT nor PlusNet are prepared to tell me anything meaningful. I have repeatedly done all the swops, tests etc from my end but nothing changes as far as I can see.
Broadband is certainly not living up to my expectations.
Apparently from other contacts the poor performance is endemic to the BT network in these parts (aluminium DIG cables)
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

BRAS gone luppy

Looking at your speed history it appears that BT reduced the speed profile on 2007-05-22, this updated again yesterday evening back to 4000 so you should once again be able to see the higher speeds coming through.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

BRAS gone luppy

Message to Chris Parr.
Your reply may be OK for M Wright, but what is PN going to do about my measly BRAS of 1000, that is still stuck there again today in spite of a connection speed of 2396 downstream and a recorded actual speed of 918 at 09.30 this morning and attempts to kick start it upwards
N/A

BRAS gone luppy

It poses the question why did mine drop in the first place as I never connect at less than 4000 and normally 4500 or higher on the 22nd I would be in the 4995 region so why would it drop to 3000?

Secondly for the last 3 days I have connected

so it should have gone up to 4500 or 5000 not 4000. Its seems it has a mind of its own or its being used to throttle you for some reason. I am not a heavy user and never go over my limit.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

BRAS gone luppy

You may not have noticed one sync drop, which is all it can take to reduce the bRAS profile.
You can see the sync speeds required to move up between different profile at this link. As you can see you need to consistently sync above 5120kbps to achieve a profile of 4500.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

BRAS gone luppy

@colizhoward

Have you synced at 2396 for more than 3 days? It takes this period of time for BT to lift the profile back up. I would advise reading this page for more information on how MaxDSL works.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

BRAS gone luppy

As far as I can see the synch rate has been around 2400 for some time particularly early in the morning although it has dropped later in the day, but has still been above 1500. I have tried to force a change by the PN recommended 3 disconnections in 24 hours to no avail.
The speeds I am now receiving are significantly lower (800 to 900)than when the phone line was very noisy and broadband became unusable. After attention by BT the line is now very quiet indeed, but broadband speeds have still not returned even to the mediocre speeds previously possible with a noisy line (1400 to 1600).
Last 3 synch speeds have been 2336, 2400, 2400 and associated IP throughput 918, 928 and 852!!!!

Oh to be able to get to 2000 let alone the 4000 that is the norm for m wright!!!
Some clear answers as to why I continue and repeatedly get such a poor service would be much appreciated
CRH
chrisc
Grafter

BRAS gone luppy

the synch rate has been around 2400 for some time particularly early in the morning although it has dropped later in the day, but has still been above 1500.

As the sync rate is still dropping to around 1500 you will not achieve an IP profile of higher than 1000. This is why you are achieving the throughput speeds that you are.

The Sync rate needs to stay above about 1750 to get a profile of 1500kbps.

Have a read of this tutorial to ensure that everything at your end is set up to achieve the best sync speeds you can get.
N/A

BRAS gone luppy

Attn c cotterill
I have read the tutorial you mentioned many times and ensured that the wiring and connections in this house comply with the requirements as far as physical restrictions permit. I firmly do not believe that there is anything in this house that is causing the reduction in synch speed that appears to occur at random. There is something in the BT or PN infrastructure that is seriously degrading the performance of my broadband service and I do really wish that a rational explanation for the poor service could be supplied. Having myself got BT to clear a noisy line that used to give nearly 2000 I cannot understand why a clear line gives less than 1000.
Referring me to the tutorial is condescending and does nothing to improve PN's customer service reputation.
digitalgat

BRAS gone luppy

Readers of this thread may be interested in a problem I'm having with my bRAS profile, which after some investigation I think may be due to an intermittent line fault that appears sometimes when making or receiving a phone call.

I usually sync happily at 7616 kbps, achieve a respectable 5000kbps rate on BT's tester and have a SNR that is stable around 10dB. However, sometimes by bRAS drops to 500kbps (from 7000kbps) and takes around 3 days to recover. This seems to be triggered by making or receiving a phone call, as occasionally I get a noisy line: the SNR drops to around 3db, the router disconnects, then reconnects and gets a low sync speed for the duration of the phone call. This one incident results in by bRAS dropping to 500kbps for around 3 days. The noise on my line disappears after taking the phone "off the hook" and replacing it a few times, but if no calls have been made or received for some days I'm likely to get a noisy line when eventually there is a call.

I've tried making a call to the quiet line test (17070, option 2) every evening after turning the router off (so a noisy line wouldn't ruin by bRAS) - this seems to keep my line "clean" and allows me to hear if there is any noise. Last week I was away and didn't do this, and all it took was one incoming call on Wednesday evening and Hey Presto, by bRAS is back to 500kbps. My line sounds clean again now, and the SNR doesn't drop when the phone is taken off the hook, but I'm still waiting for my bRAS to recover.

I guess I could raise this as a fault with my phone supplier, but as the fault is intermittent there's a risk they wont find anything and I'll end up paying a call-out fee nonetheless. I raised a ticket with Plusnet about a month ago following a drop in my bRAS, but my bRAS sorted itself out while the ticket was open - this was before I'd spotted the link with making/receiving calls.

Any one had a similar experience or has comments/suggestions?
N/A

BRAS gone luppy

I would suspect the filters. Not all filter are the same do you have a dec phone as they are the worse.

My snr was 8 and I bought a new filter and it went up to 16 but my speed never got much above 4500 last week I got a new BT filter that comes with business routers and my speed shot up to over 5000 so tit show the difference a filter can make.

Take a look at
http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php

As they have tested the filters and show how they compare. These do filter to stop disconnects etc

http://www.adsl-filters.co.uk/
digitalgat

BRAS gone luppy

mwright - thanks for those links for filters - I'll open up the one I'm using at the moment and see how it compares with the reviewed ones. However, I did try another filter recently just to see if it changed my SNR, and it didn't seem to make any difference.

It's the intermittent nature of my line noise that makes me think it's a problem at the line/exchange - I think I've had an intermittently noisy line for some time (probably even before I got broadband). As it clears itself with a few liftings of the phone, it is difficult to track down. However, I've wiggled all the connections in the line at my end while listening to the quiet line test and failed to recreate it. Maybe an intermittent connection somewhere between me and the exchange?
N/A

BRAS gone luppy

Many thanks M Wright for the info on filters. To date I have used those that came with the BT voyager modem and the one that came with the netgear router and done various tests and configurations with no apparent difference in performance. I have thought that perhaps I should buy some top notch ones even if only to fully rule filters out as a possible problem.

To nutleythomas, your problem sounds very similar to the one I was having most recently where intermittent bursts of noise eventually became so bad as to make normal phone calls impossible. I was getting well over 10 disconnects every day. As a result my BRAS went all the way down to 150 and speed to 80!!!!
Testing on 17070 option2 again only intermittently showed a problem, and never when I rang BT faults!!!. However the fault on my line wasnt dependant on how I used the handset. I had to wait until the noise was so bad as to make the line unusable and could clearly be heard by BT before they would come out to investigate. BT have changed a cable over somewhere in the journey back to the exchange and I have a far clearer phone line than I have had for a very long time BUT my broadband is still stuck at a BRAS of 1000 and speed tonight of 921 which is half the performance I was getting with a noisy phone line. Sync is 2400 tonight as it has been for more than 3 days. All the other stats of line loss and SNR are essentially as they were before:- 56db downstream attenuation, noise margin 9db; 15 db upstream (connection speed 44Coolnoise margin 17db.

Please, Please can someone explain why I cannot get better than a BRAS of 1000, and cannot achieve the utopia of 4000 and above regularly achieved by M Wright and nutleythomas?
CLH
N/A

BRAS gone luppy

Please can someone out there help to explain just what is happening/going wrong with my broadband connection.

Today my BRAS has crawled up to 1500, but now the synch speed has changed from a stable 2400 over the weekend to varying anywhere between 2400 and 1800 and achieved speed from 1400 to 545!! All figures during a 2 hour period this morning:-
09.43 synch 1856, achieved speed 1097
11.10 synch 1952, achieved speed 1400
11.35 synch 2336, achieved speed 545

for a period from 11.12 to 11.35 ift was impossible to get on the thre BT speedtester as it would take 3 minutes to go through the motions and then either time out or come up with an error message. Perhaps it should be renamed the BT nospeed tester.......

Realistic use of broadband for anything other than basic email and slow internet searches is all but impossible with this poor quality performance. Where does the problem lie PN or BT?