cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBYW with regard to peer to peer and download servers

N/A

Hello Readers

This has probably been answered at some point, but can someone clarify for me please:

Peer to Peer:

what exactly is included in this group in relation to BBYW line speed restrictions?

Is it specific named file sharing software using specific ports and does it include windows messenger type work (sharing drives etc) AND does it include, for instance, if I connect with my family using custom written programs ip address direct to ip address?

How do Plusnet systems tell what is peer to peer?

Download Servers:

again, are these specific named servers/addresses/ports or is it just in general like software upgrades/downloads or downloads off websites?

and again, how do Plusnet systems discern this?

Contention:
Do these contention ratios still exist and play apart as in the beginning it all used to be about this 10:1, 20:1 or 30:1 in relation to quality etc ?

I am asking because it seems these two areas are those most severely restricted on BBYW 2.

Thanks for any clarity provided.
BB
3 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

You might want to take a look at this page which goes into more detail:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml#categories

MSN Messenger isn't classed as P2P. We have a set of signatures and use deep packet inspection to determine what each type of traffic is and from there each product has a set of rules to determine the priority or if there are any rate limits applied. In case of download sites and servers then it also uses the IP address/range of the site as a means of identification.

Contention ratios are no longer used as they are pretty meaningless these days.
N/A

Thank you dtomlinson for the reply and link.

Can you just finally confirm please, if I play a lan/wan game (e.g. pool/snooker [sad eh!]) connected directly (not via a game server) to another family member's computer across the internet, will this be restricted.

Or, if I use directly connected custom/home written applications using ip address/port to ip address/port - will that be affected.

Thank you again
BB

PS: do you intend to serve TV down the wires (FreeTV/Freeview channels etc) at some point (I hope it is cheaper than the BT version being touted Smiley)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

With BBYW Option 1 gaming traffic doesn't get prioritised on Options 2-4 it does. The way the traffic management works is that it will pick up the gaming regardless of whether you are using a central server to play on or just direct to another person.

As for a custom application that will depend on what you are doing. If it's something that's completely original and uses a random port then it's unlikely we'll have a signature for it so it will be classed as unidentified traffic.

There are plans for TV, we're looking at BT Vision, no real details available yet but it's in the pipeline.