cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBCi & Opera?

N/A

BBCi & Opera?

Does anyone know the secret that with allow me to view BBCi with Opera?
I have Opera v7.11 but haven't been able to get it to work so far.
Mozilla, Netscape (v7 but not v4.7) , and IE all seem to work fine and so does realplayer itself.

Problem occurs after opening the BBCi player - the BBC News image is stationary and selecting any video just returns to the same image.
I've checked the usual stuff: plugin path, plugins enabled. As far as I can tell the only file type associated with the realplayer plugin is rpm, and all the others are 'show download dialog' and no plugin is available for selection.

Any ideas, or is this just an Opera thing?

Geoff
6 REPLIES
N/A

BBCi & Opera?

Yep - I get the same thing. Also, the webcams won't work on Opera, it's like a continuously loading image, never moves.

I just have to use IE and it works.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

BBCi & Opera?

No plug in for the Real player to work in Opera so nope never worked here. It's one site you have to use IE or IE clone.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

BBCi & Opera?

Thanks for the info.

As for the webcams, I thought this had been fixed - but it seems not, at least not from the portal links. You can still see them OK if you set Opera to identify as MSIE 6.0 and you directly access the webcams at:
http://195.166.137.240/view/view.shtml
http://195.166.137.244/view/view.shtml
and so on.

No such fiddle for BBCi it would seem.

Geoff
N/A

Re: BBCi & Opera?

Does anyone know the secret that with allow me to view BBCi with Opera?
I have Opera v7.11 but haven't been able to get it to work so far.
Mozilla, Netscape (v7 but not v4.7) , and IE all seem to work fine and so does realplayer itself.

Problem occurs after opening the BBCi player - the BBC News image is stationary and selecting any video just returns to the same image.
I've checked the usual stuff: plugin path, plugins enabled. As far as I can tell the only file type associated with the realplayer plugin is rpm, and all the others are 'show download dialog' and no plugin is available for selection.

Any ideas, or is this just an Opera thing?

you need nppl3260.dll in Opera/Program/plugins. I also put it in opera/plugins to be on the safe side.
Then in Preferences / Network set Opera to Indentify as Mozilla 5.
(I re-installed real player, but if you do a search first for nppl3260.dll you may not need to.)

Pete

Moderators note (John) I've sorted the post out for you. You had simply put the closing quote tags in the wrong place.
I have corrected it and deleted your second post
Wink
N/A

opera & bbc

Apologies,

You can get Real player to work in Opera, but not with BBC Broadband. On BBC News it does not work, but go to BBC Sport it's OK, but then BBC Sport is not Broadband.
It's something to do with javascript I think. But that's beyond me.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Peter
N/A

BBCi and Opera

An alernative to Opera try Mozilla Firebird. It can cope with BBCi and everthing else I have tried. Download it ffrom www.mozilla.org Unzip it whereever you want. copy all plugins from opera to Mozilla.
I am now using it as my default browser

Good luck

Peter