cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC radio streaming

N/A

BBC radio streaming

I was hoping that ADSL would improve the quality of the BBC's 'radio player', but there seems to be conflicting information.

Plusnet says:
"The bbc.co.uk service has been designed to deliver high-quality audio and video features that take advantage of the capabilities of Broadband."

but the Beeb says:
"Streaming higher quality audio on the web is expensive and we have to find a balance between audio quality and cost. Since the Radio Player is very popular we are unable to stream music programmes in a higher quality, but we believe we've got the balance right in order to offer the best value for our services."

So far, I haven't managed better than 32kbps, which is bearable for speech, but horrible for classical music, and the main reason I never used it when I was on dial-up.

I realise this is really a question for the BBC, but as Plusnet are suggesting that broadband users can "take advantage", I'd like to know how!

TIA
5 REPLIES
N/A

BBC radio streaming

Try this link. http://support.bbc.co.uk/multicast/streams.html
The unicast feeds should work and are very good quality
N/A

BBC radio streaming

Many thanks for the reply. I have tried that, and the quality is a big improvement, but it only plays the current programme, which I can obtain rather more easily (and seven seconds sooner!) by turning on the radio...

What I was driving at was the apparent claim by Plusnet that ADSL would open the door to a better quality service from the BBC, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Personally, I would much prefer the Beeb to make all their material available in MP3 or OGG format, so that it it is properly portable, but they keep citing copyright problems, despite the fact that many MP3 players can record directly from the radio. As, indeed, can my old cassette recorder...
N/A

BBC radio streaming

Broadband does open the oportunity to access better quality streams.

However, as the BBC, this is a balancing act. It's all based on if the broadcaster provides that higher quality stream int eh first place.

Some but all all of the BBC feeds are at a higher bitrate.

It's mainly live content that is at a higer rate, rather than archive streams.

As for copyright issues, they are correct. Bear in mind that those radio players you use to record with, need to be based within receiving distance of the trasmition. The internet makes it a worldwide audiance.

Export restrictions thus rule it out.
N/A

BBC radio streaming

"The internet makes it a worldwide audiance"

Fair point, although so does satellite! I realise, of course, that the whole march of technology creates new legal difficulties and grey areas, so I do have some sympathy with the Beeb.

Become an intellectual property lawyer and you'll never be out of work... Cheesy
N/A

BBC radio streaming

Satelite broadcast have a limited footprint though, with the BBC only being available within the western portion of Europe.

Even then, they are digital transmitions with view control built in (card needed).

Although I believe that Radio1 is going to start broadcasting via Sirius Satelite radio in the US soon, which should be interesting.