cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC Video On Demand

docrobster
Grafter

BBC Video On Demand

It seems that the BBC have launched a "video on demand" service to allow us to watch previously shown episodes of certain programmes via their website. I presume that this is something that will only increase over time. Does anyone know how much data would be downloaded if I chose to watch one of these programmes, for instance a repeat of child of our time which is 50 minutes long?
I am currently on PAYG, and usually download very little data, I have only ever gone over the 1GB limit once, and that was only by about 20mb!
If I started watching these repeats, would it cost me an arm and a leg because of the amount of data?
The BBC site gives no technical info about what the quality or resolution of the video is, but it appears to be fairly low quality as it is quite "blocky" if you enlarge the picture, so I think its compressed more than DVD quality, but less than .wmv quality.
Any info would be appreciated!
3 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

BBC Video On Demand

The normal "watch the news" BBC player uses 224kbps, equivalent to about 100MB per hour if I've calculated it right.
The child of our time looks a bit better than this, but not astoundingly so, so if you double that figure and assume 200MB an hour I'd guess you wouldn't be far out.

If you email the technical people at the BBC and ask, I'd expect them to give you an exact answer.
I've contacted them a couple of times and they've been helpful.
docrobster
Grafter

BBC Video On Demand

Thanks for that, but, excuse my ignorance, I get confused between bits and bytes!
Does 224kbps mean kilobits per second, as opposed to the maximum line speed of approx 240 KB/sec, which I presume is kilobytes per second, as shown on the plusnet speed tester?
Alecto
Grafter

BBC Video On Demand

Conventionally a small b is bits and a capital B is bytes.
So at 8 bits per Byte, 224kb = 28kB.
Your line is 2 megaBIT, but bandwidth used is measured in megaBYTES.