cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB Plus Peak-Time Usage???

N/A

I am pretty sure this has already been discussed before, but I am becoming increasingly confused about the Broadband Plus 3GB peak-time usage limit and hope that someone can provide some clarification on thisHuh

The product info for BB Plus clearly states "the product is designed for up to 3GB usage each month at 4pm-Midnight. Once your usage exceeds the product design your downloads and surfing will get progressively slower...", and in an attempt to clarify exactly what progressive speed reduction can be expected if/when the 3GB allowance is exceeded I raised a ticket with Customer Support. The answer was quite surprising...

"Once the limit is exceeded you would drop to a speed of 128k and all p2p traffic would be blocked"

and when I queried this response was again provided with the answer...

"As previously stated, once the limit is exceeded you would drop to a speed of 128k and all p2p traffic would be blocked"

which isn't really what I would call a "progressive speed reduction" as detailed for the productHuh

Can anyone confirm if this is correct, or have PN's CSC Agents misunderstood something hereHuh The BB Plus SUP Guide (http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml) details a 128K speed restriction if a 10G peak-time SUP usage is exceeded, and I am wondering if maybe the 3GB peak-time limit has been confused with the 10GB SUP limitHuh

Clarification on this would be appreciated...
4 REPLIES
N/A

If you re-read it you will find it says as you APROACH 3Gb it will get slower.
Once you get to 3Gb then it stays at 128Kbs.

This seams pretty simple to me.
The sort of users that will be on BBPlus arn't going to be getting near to 3Gb anyway and if they are, they should be on a different tarriff.

I have signed up about 40 customers to BB Plus and the vast majority of them don't go over 1Gb and thats all day !!, not just between 4 and 12pm.

Andrew
N/A

So where exactly does it say "as you approach 3GB it will get slower"Huh

Product info states "Once your usage exceeds the product design (3GB) your downloads and surfing will get progressively slower" - no mention of a speed reduction as usage "approaches" 3GBHuh

and the SUP details a 128K speed restriction for BB+ at 10GB (not 3GB) with a permanent restriction applied following two occurrences of this - again no mention of a 128K speed reduction as usage approaches 3GB??

Hate to disagree but there is nothing really clear about any of this, and indeed if a 128K speed restriction is applied at 3GB (or indeed before 3GB as you have stated) then the claim that "surfing will get progressively slower" is clearly misleading - 2GB/8GB broadband connection reduced to 128Kbps is NOT a progressive reduction in speed!!!!
N/A

Ok Ok I put my hands up... I was wrong.

So, you get to 3GB then the connection gets slower up to 10Gb when a restiriction is applied.
I fail to see what the problem is.
You shouldn't even need to ask. If you are getting anywhere near 3GB, especially between 4 and midnight then you should be on a different product.

I'm on PAYG and I'm a PC engineer. I use my connection all the time to order parts, do email and update customers PC's that I bring back to my workshop.
This can be as much as 100Mbs per PC !!

So I rekon I use it quite a lot.

My usage is about 3.5 Gbs and I pay £19 per month. Most of that is during the day.
If I didn't need a fixed IP address I would be on BB+ as I rekon my 4-12PM usage would be about 0.5Gbs per month.

Come on, BB+ is a replacement for dialup for low users.
If you need more, go on PAYG or Premier.

Andrew
N/A

OK, thanks for clarifying this...

This was also my understanding of this, which leads me full circle to the original query I logged with Customer Support to clarify how the progressive speed reduction is applied if the 3GB peak-time monthly usage limit is exceededHuh As previously stated I was surprised to be told "Once the limit is exceeded you would drop to a speed of 128k" which to me isn't really a "progressive speed reduction" and which I understand is the limit that should be applied when the 10GB SUP limit is exceededHuh

I am currently still on the BB+ 5GB 08:00am/midnight monthly download limit and my usage is currently just below 5GB per month (surfing/email only, but obviously quite a lot!!!). Within the next few days this will change to the revised 3GB 4:00pm/midnight download limit, and I was just trying to clarify what is likely to happen to the connection if the 3GB limit is exceeded (which according to Customer Support will drop to 128KHuh)