cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful PlusNet activation- why?

N/A

Awful PlusNet activation- why?

Have supposedly been activated to ADSL for nearly two months- after much headbanging against equipment I rang BT's fault engineers to check the line, only to be told there /was/ no ADSL on my line, there never had been, nor had it ever been ordered.

Am STILL waiting for PlusNet to sort this out- problem ID 5102953 if someone from PlusNet is reading- certainly you seem to respond a lot faster to the public forums than the Contact Us.

No one seems able to get in touch with BT and confirm that the line is not activated, although I can ring them up at the drop of a hat and be told, "No, there's definitely no ADSL on that line- we handle lots of lines with ADSL from different providers, and the engineer at the exchange has to know if there's ADSL on a line."

Yet PlusNet seem to think the BT engineers are wrong! No-one's even checked with BT, they're just bouncing the fault around through automated systems, and of course for BT's systems there is no fault as ADSL hasn't even been ordered..

Always had a lot of respect for Force 9/ PlusNet- been with them over 5 years and they always handled stuff with common sense. Must be a victim of their own success- no-one in Customer Support seems capable of using their brain any more.

What a load of cr*p.
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Awful PlusNet activation- why?

> Have supposedly been activated to ADSL for nearly two months- after much headbanging against equipment I rang BT's fault engineers to check the line, only to be told there /was/ no ADSL on my line, there never had been, nor had it ever been ordered.
>
> Am STILL waiting for PlusNet to sort this out- problem ID 5102953 if someone from PlusNet is reading- certainly you seem to respond a lot faster to the public forums than the Contact Us.
>
> No one seems able to get in touch with BT and confirm that the line is not activated, although I can ring them up at the drop of a hat and be told, "No, there's definitely no ADSL on that line- we handle lots of lines with ADSL from different providers, and the engineer at the exchange has to know if there's ADSL on a line."
>
> Yet PlusNet seem to think the BT engineers are wrong! No-one's even checked with BT, they're just bouncing the fault around through automated systems, and of course for BT's systems there is no fault as ADSL hasn't even been ordered..
>
> Always had a lot of respect for Force 9/ PlusNet- been with them over 5 years and they always handled stuff with common sense. Must be a victim of their own success- no-one in Customer Support seems capable of using their brain any more.
>
> What a load of cr*p.

Hi,

We have had confirmation from BT that ADSL is active on your line and as far as their systems are concerned this is the case. Obviously as the service is not working we have raised this as a fault with BT (if ADSL was not active on the line BT Faults would have rejected the fault straight away).

The Broadband faults department we are in communication with will only speak to service providers such as ourselves and it is them who are responsible for fixing faults on the ADSL service.

It may look like the your issue is being passed around our internal systems but I can assure you this is not the case, it was escalated to BT several days ago and your ticket has been assigned to an agent to chase them up.

In addition we have checked with BT on more than one occasion who state that ADSL has been enabled on your line, please bear with us while this fault is resolved.

Regards,
Rob
--
| Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

N/A

Hi there,

Nice to get a (much!) speedier response than via that lovely Contact Us and long waits on the support line to no avail..

> We have had confirmation from BT that ADSL is active on your line and as far as their systems are concerned this is the case. Obviously as the service is not working we have raised this as a fault with BT (if ADSL was not active on the line BT Faults would have rejected the fault straight away).

So you're saying the engineers at the exchange are ignorant of which of their lines have ADSL and which do not.

Please could you email me some of this confirmation showing that BT are saying the line is activated.

As yet all I have is your word, which I would take at face value from your communications, but not from your company's actions.

I have been asked to fill in a template about possible problems with my setup, when BT engineers are telling me there has been no hint of activation on the account.

>
> The Broadband faults department we are in communication with will only speak to service providers such as ourselves and it is them who are responsible for fixing faults on the ADSL service.
>
Yes, but if the service hasn't even been ordered? I'm not bothered about speaking to them- it's just that their engineers talk straight. In contrast I have had to bang my head against your support staff, and it was only after a week of this that a sensible comment appeared:
"Please re-check on eco and make sure that the line has been activated if not, please re-submit to BT to get the line activated."
Even if their system is still saying the line is activated, why is the exchange saying not- and why is this point not being put to them forcefully?

Do you actually 'speak' to them or is it all via email? I just can't believe you've spoken to them and no-one's been in touch with the exchange..

I'm quite willing to believe that this is a messup through BT. What I don't understand is why PlusNet haven't chased it more effectively.

> It may look like the your issue is being passed around our internal systems but I can assure you this is not the case, it was escalated to BT several days ago and your ticket has been assigned to an agent to chase them up.
>
I never said it was going through your system alone- rather that it's clearly being passed from your system to BT and back and forth, taking 2-3 days each time, and both parties keep saying "Oh it's activated." In these cases, a little human intervention goes a long way.

> In addition we have checked with BT on more than one occasion who state that ADSL has been enabled on your line
>
Yes, but it's odd that there is no mention of any real communication with BT on this in the contact ticket- time and again it just reads like someone passing on the results of an automated system. Or is that what is meant by 'checked'?

Hasn't anyone mentioned to BT that their own engineers are saying there's no ADSL on the line?

>, please bear with us while this fault is resolved.

Basically I'm only still with PlusNet due to your rep with me over the last few years. Just that the sheer intransigence in ignoring my point about BT's own engineers- why not ask me to get a name and a time of call, say, to back it up further with BT, instead of insisting that I and they are wrong- has only added insult to injury.

If the fault is not resolved soon, however, I shall have no choice but to terminate the contract due to spectacular non-delivery.

As I said in the contact ticket (no. 4,000 it felt like):
"ADSL has NOT been activated and you have wasted a good deal of my time and money. You haven't even had the decency to allow me FRIACO access."
N/A

> So you're saying the engineers at the exchange are ignorant of which of their lines have ADSL and which do not.

Wouldn't be the first time BT couldn't tell thier ass from thier elbow.

> Do you actually 'speak' to them or is it all via email? I just can't believe you've spoken to them and no-one's been in touch with the exchange..

The whole reselling of BT's service is a big fat nightmare, since you raise a fault with your ISP (plusnet) and plusnet then have to call BT (and listen to the oh-so-awful hold music) they then mess plusnet around.

Speaking to the BT engineer at the exchange is like moaning to the grain farmer that the bakers doesn't have any bread, he may know all about your line, but he wont be the one to speak to in order to get the problem resolved.

I'm sorry you're having problems - hope everything gets sorted out soon!
--
Marc
N/A

Your actually wrong. I know someone who has phoned an engineer from BT , who then travelled to my friends exchange and fixed it so that it could accommodate more people. (he installed new 'cards' or something like that) . All within 2 Hrs of the phone call my friend made.

>Speaking to the BT engineer at the exchange is >like moaning to the grain farmer that the bakers >doesn't have any bread, he may know all about >your line, but he wont be the one to speak to in >order to get the problem resolved.

Of course he is. Who do u think will end up doing the job ? Your above analogy seems to me like your saying that "complaining to the BT engineer at the exchange (grain farmer) that the Bakers (plusnet) dont have any bread ..."

Well, for a start PlusNet have plenty of bread ie: capability to supply the guy with adsl, its the grain farmer (BT) that hasnt activated his line so that PlusNet can give him his bread (connection)

Sorry if that confused you but i think it makes sense.

--
The wise man mocks the mocked, The mocked man mocks the mocker.....
N/A

I also had a fault on my ADSL took 14 days to fix it turns out BT has a special broadband unit that does not talk to the rest BT and this is straight from the BT Broadband Unit engineer i spoke to on phone, so yes the right hand doesnt know what the left is doing if you phone up BT directly their engineers will know sod all about it.

A) cause they havent been told

B) your not meant to be talking to them as the Broadband Unit only deals with the ISP the only time your meant to talk to them is when the Broadband Unit contacts you and no the Broadband Unit engineer will not give you his contact number, i tried this Smiley

Hope this explains BT hierarchy Smiley

Ali
N/A

> I also had a fault on my ADSL took 14 days to fix it turns out BT has a special broadband unit that does not talk to the rest BT

Yes, of course, but the exchange engineer still knows which lines have ADSL and which do not- there's a little 'ADSL' next to the line on his screen.

>
> A) cause they havent been told
>
Who exactly hasn't been told- the Broadband guy who must be, or the engineer at the exchange who clearly /will/ know once it has been activated?

> B) your not meant to be talking to them as the Broadband Unit only deals with the ISP the only time your meant to talk to them is when the Broadband Unit contacts you and no the Broadband Unit engineer will not give you his contact number, i tried this Smiley

Fair enough- I don't particularly want to talk to them, I have been going thru the ISP, but PlusNet have seemed unwilling to accept that if the BT exchange engineer says there's no ADSL, then there's no ADSL. Mucking about with cables is just not going to get round zero signal, is it?

>
> Hope this explains BT hierarchy Smiley

Yeah, thanks, and to the other posters.

For what it's worth, I fully accept that this is most likely BT's mess-up. The resolution of it, however, is down to PlusNet- that's who my service contract is with.

And I'll say again, PlusNet have always been a wicked ISP, and I regularly recommend them to people. Just wish I could do "my referrals" by word-of-mouth!
essenby
Grafter

Of course there is always the possibility that both stories are right!

The engineer at the exchange (correctly) states that there is no ADSL activation on that line, because he can phisycally check it.

The other end (the office) are in possesion of paperwork which states that the activation had been ordered and completed. Therefore the line IS active and they don't need to check it ! ! !

Which begs the question - whos got ADSL and hasn't ordered it?
--
N/A

> Of course there is always the possibility that both stories are right!
>
> The engineer at the exchange (correctly) states that there is no ADSL activation on that line, because he can phisycally check it.
>
> The other end (the office) are in possesion of paperwork which states that the activation had been ordered and completed. Therefore the line IS active and they don't need to check it ! ! !
>
This is exactly what I think is happening, but PlusNet seem unable to actually talk to the exchange. Sure, BT is prob'y responsible, but why do PlusNet get so bureaucratic- can't they just ask BT why the engineer at the exchange is reporting no ADSL?

I've been asking them to do this, but all I get is usual cr*p about how BT's system tell them it's okay.

> Which begs the question - whos got ADSL and hasn't ordered it?
>
Well exactly- why isn't there an order with BT for my ADSL?