cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Away from home access

N/A

Away from home access

I have the Plusnet ADSL Home service, and have a laptop and a desktop connected to it through a router. My wife is going away to work (not abroad) for a few weeks, and I want to lend her the laptop to stay in touch by email.

I've noticed there is a free 'roaming' dialup number for away from home use. Can she use that to get access to our account (eg use it for web browsing and send/download email from her mailbox) at dialup speeds while I'm still connected to the ADSL service at home, or does she have to get a seperate Plusnet pay-as-you-go dialup account, and access the web and the Plusnet mail server using that?
6 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Away from home access

You really need a seperate account, as when you connect on the dialup that machine will also be allocated your Static IP address which causes problems.
Community Veteran

Away from home access

If shes just dialling in from the UK and not from a witheld number she can simply use the username signup (any password) to connect, save signing up another account. Otherwise you will need a Lite account (4.99 or any of the friaco accounts), if you do go for a paid account don't forget to reffer yourself Smiley
N/A

Away from home access

You really need a seperate account, as when you connect on the dialup that machine will also be allocated your Static IP address which causes problems.

Even though I signed up for the off-the-shelf Home ADSL service, and didn't take the Static IP address option?
csogilvie
Grafter

Away from home access

All PlusNet's ADSL Accounts have a Static IP by default and its not possible to change.
N/A

Away from home access

All PlusNet's ADSL Accounts have a Static IP by default and its not possible to change.

Fair enough. I was only going on what the 'More' link next to the Static IP feature on this summary page about Home ADSL says. It seems to imply it's optional.

http://www.plus.net/info2/residential/res_broadband_adslhome_selfinstall.html

While she's away, she will be able to use Outlook Express to send/receive emails to/from a mailbox of our main ADSL home account, if she connects through a Plusnet dialup pay-as-you-go account, won't she?
N/A

Away from home access

Can can send and receive just fine from a PAYG account.