cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average Download sizes per month

N/A

Hi,
Im on a 2Mbps line and getting very good download speeds. Im new to downloading etc and im just wondering what kind of size downloads people are doing per month. Obviously with a 2Mbps line its very easy to download masses of stuff.

Thanks for any responses!
Can also PM if preferred.
9 REPLIES
N/A

Past 2 months me and my bro have downloaded around 60 gig. I think some one said that 200 gig a month is normal.
craigbrass
Grafter

I am around 18GB. This is mainly due to the fact that less-than-urgent but large downloads I tend to program into the Download Manager that is installed on the server at work and they download from 6PM til 8AM when nobody is actually there. If I did all these myself I would be looking at 30-40GB.
Alecto
Grafter

. I think some one said that 200 gig a month is normal.

I'd suspect that 200Gb a month, every month, may be considered a little on the excessive side by Plusnet. Try 100 to 150Gb as a more reasonable maximum figure if you're going to be doing it regularly.

Though Pn don't actually have a maximum. Their criterion for being unhappy with you is if you are adversely affecting other users. So time of day, for example, would be taken into account, with overnight downloads being less troublesome than those in the evening.
N/A

i've only just joined plusnet (my long awaited return to DSL) and i'm already concerned about my usage Sad

the figures i logged from my previous ISP had me doing 90gig a month on average, so i thought i was ok but i pulled down 6 gig in my first full day. extrapolating that sort of usage over a full month results in a figure that likely won't be smiled apon.
Alecto
Grafter

If you do as much as possible overnight, I'd be surprised if they had a problem with 90 - though 180 perhaps.

But don't worry about it - Pn won't cut you off or tell you to leave, they'll let you know if you're causing them a problem and ask you to do something about it.

So even if you do go a bit over the top, you should end up in a situation where you're both happy.
craigbrass
Grafter

You will most likely get a call from the team higher up in PlusNet if your using too much bandwidth per month but from what I read on the ADSL Guide forums of a user who got called, they were only asked to keep the downloading to overnight and normal browsing and email through "peak times" as it were. He was using 280 average per month tho.

In any case I wouldn't worry about it, they arn't gonna whip you with a cane like in school for using too much, just have a polite chat on how to solve the situation and I really don't think they are gonna give you a call for 90gb per month.
N/A

It kinda makes no sense like offering unlimited downloads and you cant excide so much.
craigbrass
Grafter

I suppose it does. There are a small selection of "unmetered" broadband providors these days. AOL is one of them and I know they contact you at around 100GB to ask you basically to use less (read on ADSL Guide). Nor sure about the rest tho. I would think around 250GB makes PlusNet a "fair" ISP.
N/A

Even Pipex who were famously lax at applying any sort of restriction on their accounts have now introduced (or are in the process of introducing) limits.
At least with PN there is no real ceiling, more a suggestion of what constitutes fair usage.