Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto connecting

home99
Grafter

Auto connecting

Hi,

I currently have a Binatone ADSL 500 and have it setup to connect automatically (as soon as I power up). In order to disconnect I use the Modem Login page and simply press the disconnect button.

However it appears it reconnects itself after a few minutes without any instruction from me! Does this mean I have to physically remove the cable from the filter in order to guarantee my connection is disconnected?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Regards

Dave

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Topic moved to a more suitable forum]
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Auto connecting

It is probably reconnecting because something on your PC is trying to connect to the internet - this could be your virus checking looking for updates or any number of other things.

Why do you need to disconnect? ADSL is designed to be left connected continuously.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
home99
Grafter

Auto connecting

I thought perhaps that whilst playing games a connection is not necessary - infact sometimes a game will attempt to access the internet whilst I am playing if it knows I am connected. Being disconnected avoids this problem.

Also, I like to have as many programs as possible disabled if I am playing a game because it takes up resources. I was under the impression Anti Virus and the like can sometimes interfere with other programs, i.e.games. Perhaps I am misinformed?
hitachi
Grafter

Auto connecting

Hi

Not on the original topic I know but a handy program to use before gaming is enditall

Cheers
Andy
pcorker
Grafter

Auto connecting

You could try turning it off by the icon in the system tray or, in Network connections, by right clicking the local area connection)
You need to go back to that local area connection to turn it back on. (Not the Binatone icon)
That's with Windows XP.
Proclus
Grafter

Auto connecting

I have an BINATONE ADSL 500 and i have XP PRO and if i disconnect my adsl it NEVER reconnects on its own i would say that you have got some sort of virus or adware/spyware installed on your system that is trying to use the Internet.
home99
Grafter

Auto connecting

I have done a thorough check for Ad-aware/virus using numerous software and cant find any problems.

For the life of me I cant understand why it is happening. Sad
pcorker
Grafter

Auto connecting

I certainly noticed this behaviour in the past. It does not "seem" to happen at present. Maybe it was when I was back on Win98SE and the change to XP fixed it. All of which begs the question... what OS are you on...?
home99
Grafter

Auto connecting

I am on XP Home SP 2.
pcorker
Grafter

Auto connecting

That's one theory out of the window then!
Anything in run/msconfig Startup that could be cheekily opening it up? Eg an updater?
Sadly, I don't know what fixed it on my machine as it was only a minor annoyance! Cry
pcorker
Grafter

Auto connecting

PS ... though I do notice that if the Binatone Login page is set to "Disconnected" then Outlook Express (via AVG anti-virus, in my case) will still download messages if it's "Connect even when working offline" is selected - even though the Binatone Login page continues to read "Disconnected"
home99
Grafter

Auto connecting

Cheers for that pcorker,

I will have a look at Outlook Express tonight.

Coincidentally I too have AVG Anti Virus.....mmm.... :idea: