cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Connect to Broadband On Start Up of XP

N/A

I have Plus.net braodband which you have to dial up to, i was wondering if any one knows how i can set it up so that it auto connects on start up.

Thanks in Advance

Andrew
5 REPLIES
N/A

It all depends on the hardware you have

If you have a USB modem (as I have) it seems to be quite difficult to get XP to connect without an active program to request internet access.

However if you have an external router/modem that connects via a network card then as soon as XP boots, it will load the network drivers which will allow traffic to and from the internet.

The one wildcard in this is the latest (3 light) binatone modem. This seems to behave like a network modem but connects via USB. How XP then treats this, I have no idea.
N/A

Until very recently I had the 3 led binatone modem, it connects on power up ( check the settings page - there is an auto connect choice)

There is a delay to sync adsl though, only 30 seconds or so, but it seems forever.

Jeff
N/A

If you set it to always dial a connection and put anything that connects to the net like email etc in the startup then it will do the dialing for you. Email is the best thing to use but IE or newsreader would do.
N/A

Re: Auto Connect to Broadband On Start Up of XP

I have Plus.net braodband which you have to dial up to, i was wondering if any one knows how i can set it up so that it auto connects on start up.

I've done this in the past when I had an ADSL modem on Win 2K (and possibly XP) using a small utility called AutoexNT which installs as a service and allows you to execute a batch file at system startup.

The batch file can just contain a single command to perform a RAS dialup, eg.

rasdial rasconnectionname username password

If you have multiple users logging on and off, you can also perform a registry change which prevents RAS connections being disconnected at logoff.

It's a bit more convoluted, but it is another option.

Mark.
N/A

Create a shortcut of the broadband dialup settings, and place this in the startup folder for all users.

In network connections, select the properties for the broadband dialup. Select the Options Tab and unselect everything in the dialing options.

Each time you start your computer it will automatically connect to broadband.

Unselecting the dialing options, stops XP asking you to confirm, User ID, Password and the number to dial, thus it will connect straight away without asking for you to "ok" the connection.

If you want this in more detail, let me know. This is what I used to do when I had a USB modem.