cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asheron's Call doesn't work now we are on broadband

N/A

Has anyone tried the Asheron's Call MSN game? We had it working fine for ages on dial-up, but now we have gone broadband with PlusNet it no longer works. I have eliminated most of the likely causes and those suggested in the MS help and FAQs. All relevant ports are open according to the Asheron's Call port tester. We are not trying to use multiplayer, which can cause problems with port allocation. Can't be PC config, eg DirectX problems, as it worked OK on dial-up. The problem occurs on two PCs on our home network, so unlikely to be some unrelated software installation.

I am using an SAR110 router, FWIW. Everything else seems fine, after some initial issues solved in another thread in this forum.

All suggestions welcome!
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I am not familiar with this game but the fact that you mentioned the word "router" makes me think that this is a NAT (Network Address Translation) problem.
I have found that several things dont work with a router installed because it translates the IP address you are comected to to a local address for your machine. This confuses the software and prevents proper communication with your machine.
Don't know an answer though, even getting a uPNP (Universal plug and Play) router here has not allowed full operation of things I could do with dial up?
N/A

Hi,

I've had a few problems getting games to work with the solwise - I have found a solution, though its not ideal. You can turn your modem into ZIPB mode, which means it exposes your computer to the internet without having the security of being behind NAT. When in this mode, all games should work fine since there is no router and you are given the WAN address of that your router had.

Instructions are here: http://www.chrismarsh.co.uk/sar110/zipb.asp

Be warned this opens your computers ports up completely without any security at all, unless you have a software firewall. I switch this on when I want to play games, however last time I switched back to NAT I had loads of problems and had to plug the router into my serial port to get back normal operation! Make sure you understand about how your router works before you even attempt this
Community Veteran

Yes I have the ability to do the same with My D-Link 504 but for the reasons shown in your above thread I don't use that system.
There are just too any risks these days Sad
N/A

Asheron's Call with NAT

Thanks for those. Have not tried ZIPB yet. Grateful for the suggestion but unenthusiastic about exposing my network for all the reasons you gave, so something of a last resort to satisfy my son, who is the one wanting to play!

Implication is that AC should work with NAT:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;236430

but there can be issues. However, main one seems to be multiplayer, and as I said we have not tried that.

Regards
N/A

I have just upgraded my firmware at www.solwise.co.uk - downloads and all my problems are gone - can connect to games without ZIPB, websites I couldn't connect to before I can now - perhaps you might want to try this.

cheers
N/A

I did make the upgrade but still no joy Sad
N/A

What you have to do is implement port forwarding on your DSL router and/or firewall
refer here for info on the ports required to be forwarded for Asherons Call

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q236430

With port forwarding you are only opening up the ports required for the game and not exposing your entire network as you would be doing if you use the dmz or zipb option.

Port forwarding is also sometimes reffered to as pinholing and their are many HOWTO's regarding this on the web, chances are their is one for your specific DSL modem/router.

Hope this is of help

Ali

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Incorrectly-used URL tags have been removed. For detailed information on using these tags, take a look here.]
N/A

Thanks for that but according to the Asheron's Call port tester all the required ports are already open. Do I need to do more?

Regards
N/A

If you are also running a software firewall as well, you will need to forward the ports on that as well.

Im not an Asherons Call expert but i do run Freelancer, Dungeon Siege servers and principle is the same.

I suppose it could be a bug in your router, you could see if their is a firmware upgrade for it.

Ali
N/A

Sorry for delayed reply - we were on holiday.

No, no software firewall, and as noted above I have already upgraded the firmware.

Still no joy Cry

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.