cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arrrrgggggghhhhh ---- Private IP.!!!

N/A

Arrrrgggggghhhhh ---- Private IP.!!!

I have just got the 512 net connection , Usb modem, etc

But i cant join games etc coz it says my ip is private.

Just wondering how i can get around this problem.

I understand if a computer on my network would try and connect then they would have a private ip, but not the 1 with the actual net connection

help..please

--
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Arrrrgggggghhhhh ---- Private IP.!!!

> I have just got the 512 net connection , Usb modem, etc
>
> But i cant join games etc coz it says my ip is private.
>
> Just wondering how i can get around this problem.
>
> I understand if a computer on my network would try and connect then they would have a private ip, but not the 1 with the actual net connection
>
> help..please
>
The way I understand it is that plusnet assigns your own IP (great for setting up servers, as your buddies will know where to find you) - I've never had to change any settings to get a game so not sure if its a Windows setting, but as a thought are you running a firewall? - if you are, it might be blocking things, so check the settings.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

>
>
>
> I understand if a computer on my network would try and connect then they would have a private ip, but not the 1 with the actual net connection
>
> help..please
>
>
> --
>

READ the manaul for your router or connection utility on How to Port forward.

Gerneral ICS help @ http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
--
ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
Usually in #utgames #UT2003chat
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

>
>
>
>
> help..please
>
>
> --
>

OK I'll try to keep this simple. For what ever reason PlusNet have not set up your IP address fully. On a dial up connection this is becaue you would use a dynamic ip address (One that changes every time you log in) and to set up the address pool fully is time consuming and not worth it. However on ADSL PlusNet sort of provide a static ip address (i.e the same one is always give to you when ever your connection is live). I say sort of because it is still provided at the time you connect, you don't tell your router/ modem which ip address to use. So PN decide not to set up PTR records for those 'static, dynamic' addresses. this leads to the gaming servers not being able to reverse look up you ip address and validate who you are and hence gives you the error that you see.

It maybe that if your connection is new they haven't quite got round to setting you up properly (Or it's not propagated round the internet yet) but I would guess that if you still can't get on to the games servers you raise a ticket and request that PN set up PTR records for your ip address (This may involve setting a 'static ip address' in the my account part of the portal. Seems daft but my dial up static address does have a PTR record so reverse resolves, might work for you, remember this will take between 24-48 hours before you see any effect.

Sorry I have gone on a bit :0>

Drew