cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we paying to much

N/A

Are we paying to much

I subscribed to plusnet over a year ago using the self start plan, pop 3 allowed and my payments have always been and still are are £23.99 per month and i have a speed of just under 2mb , I have just looked at the upgrade options and have seen that a 2mb connection speed now costs only £14.99 per month, i feel a bit annoyed that plusnet have not contacted me and told me I have been paying almost £10 over the going rate for the last year ( or so ) other than that well impressed with plusnet, but should I now change to this 2mb connection speed service, I am told it will cost me an extra £14.99 as it is a downgradeHuh? How can it be a downgrade as its the same speed serviceHuh Thanks for any input or info on this matter
9 REPLIES
N/A

Are we paying to much

It's a downgrade as your changing to a package which costs less per month...
N/A

Are we paying to much

Thanks for the fast response, so is this package exactly the same as what I have now?? if so ill change it over and save a bit of cash to put towards a 4mb connection at a later date, also does this £14.99 package allow pop3 file downloads? thanks again,,, neve
N/A

Are we paying to much

Please take more time in reading the FAQ's on the site before posting on here asking others. It would save you and us a lot of time. The 14.99 option has what is called 'traffic shaping'. This basically means that during busy times the service will be primarily shaped for email/http(browser) use. Basically this is not very good for p2p downloads. HTTP/FTP downloads should generally max out unless it's very busy. 21.99 or in your case 23.99 means that you are paying for a 30:1 PN contention ratio. There is no traffic shaping, you can download/upload / use p2p programs as much as you like within reason.

I hope this has solved any problems you may have had in understanding the different packages. Smiley
N/A

Are we paying to much

Thanks for reply,, still not too clear as to if I am paying over the top for the service I am getting, Also I always read the FAQS and if you can find any info in FAQS on plusnets broadband package comparisons eg what service is better faster cheaper allows this or that compared to your existing package eg.. so on and so on then you are a superstar. also all I found in the upgrade page was a list of services and prices,, no way of telling which service allows what?? or if its better than your existing one?? anyway cheers, I may find another cheaper service provider Bulldog looks good anyone have any feedback on them... I did check the FAQS and I didnt see any info on Bulldog so I assume its ok to post this thanks again nzo
N/A

Are we paying to much

Hi steven,

Whilst i understand where you are coming from, the myriad of current and legacy Plus net products can be confusing, even for some of us who have a fairly good handle on whats what. We have an excellent community on these boards and many of us are here to help, where we can, irrespective of the query. I would rather encourage questions, thus promoting the friendly Plus net community and assisting with some of the confusion that exists with customers new and old in deciphering the range of products and pricing options.

@nevebrown.

Are you on the Broadband Easystart Account?

If you go to Account details link on the left of your screen it will tell you the exact name of your account.

Post back with that and we may be able to advise further.
N/A

Are we paying to much

Hi pcsni sorry cross posted at the same time as you it seems my current service is
ADSL Home Self-Install (Annual Contract) Started 5 Jun 2002, Thing is I opened my account and have not really been keeping up to date with whats been going on with plusnet, I was thinking of upgrading to 4mb soon and clicked on the upgrade link to see whats available and there I saw that for £14.99 I could have the same connection speed that I have always been paying £23.99 for ?? felt a bit ripped off really... I am only posting to get some feedback as to whether I should change to the £14.99 package and save a bit of money ( Which I could definately do with at the moment) or would this £14.99 service be inferior to what I have now,, sorry If I sound stupid i ve just got a bit confused .. thanks again neve
N/A

Are we paying to much

Hi,

The nearest equivalent product would be the Premier upto 2mb @ £21.99.

You have one of the "legacy accounts" and if you moved to the £14.99 product you would receive a product which may not allow you to use your connection in the way you do now.

Broadband Plus is an excellent product if your priority lies in browsing and emails. P2P downloads are and can be restricted or slowed down.

Your current product is unrestricted.

In line with current Plus Net policy any change of account which involves a reduction in monthly fee incurrs an admin fee of £14.99.

You would need to weigh up the pros and cons of changing.

As for upgrading to 4mb. Unfortunately those products dont exist at the moment as they are currently being trialed by BT. It is likely that we wont see them till early next year. But thats a different story. :roll:

I hope that is of some help. Should you have any other queries, dont hesitate to ask.
N/A

Are we paying to much

Thanks pcsni I just looked at the prices of the packages and thought I had been left out or forgotten and just left to pay my original price plan.. i understand now, I just could not find my price plan specs as all the names seemed to have changed they dont even list my package now, ill stick with what ive got for now then, I have just checked my speed and im getting 2.3mbps so thats quite good ill upgrade when its available, sorry for the questions I used to be up to date with all aspects of pc use about 2 years ago... but i have been out of the country quite a bit in 3rd world country no computers,, then I had a big hospital stay for 8 months so you could say ive lost the plot a bit l regarding computers lol so much has changed now, I have only just found out about wireless conection thanks extremely neve
N/A

Are we paying to much

Your welcome Neve.

Its not hard to get confused with the various packages that have been around over the last few years.