cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these figures any good?

phatty
Grafter

Could anyone with an understanding of SNR and Line Attenuation quickly comment on these figures? Good or Bad will do Smiley

SNR Margin
13dB Down, 27dB Up
Line Attenuation
9dB Down, 4dB Up
Data Rate
8128 kbps, 448kbps

Thanks,

Wayne
7 REPLIES
willhome
Grafter

they good..
chymorva
Grafter

SNR margin is "Signal to Noise Ratio margin" which is a measure of how much stronger your signal is compared to the noise on your line. The higher the figure the better. Generally speaking at least 6dB is needed for a stable connection, 10 dB considered good, so your connection is twice as good as that!!

Line attenuation is a measure of how much signal is lost between the transmitting and receiving ends. The lower the figure the better. With your attenuation figures I would say that you are probably no more than 400m from your local exchange.

The figures that you are interested in are the Downstream figures.

Hope that helps.
phatty
Grafter

With your attenuation figures I would say that you are probably no more than 400m from your local exchange.
Hope that helps.

It certainly does, thank you for taking the time to explain it to me.

You obviously know your stuff, Im less than 300m from the exchange Smiley
Dizzley
Grafter

I was just wondering...

...could you power your house from your phone line? :lol: Your figures are that good.
shellsong
Grafter

Hmm! Another one who could max out a 24Mbps ADSL2+ connection without really trying-- a lot of people could become extremely jealous! :shock: Tongue
phatty
Grafter

Blimey :shock:

The missus is talking about moving, I've now got to start thinking of a reason not to!
shellsong
Grafter

You could always try to persuade her that the net curtains would look good on the exchange windows! :lol: