cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are You Running Your Own Server?

N/A

Are You Running Your Own Server?

I've been trying to setup an FTP server so I can access one machine at home remotely. Has anyone done anything similar, running their own FTP or HTTP server? I'm connected via a DSL-504 router so I'm trying to work out whether it's a problem with the port redirect on the router, or is it something that PlusNet are blocking domestic users from doing? I've tried setting up the port redirects in a few different ways as suggested by other DSL-504 users, I want to make sure PlusNet aren't blocking it before I go to D-Link technical support directly. I raised a ticket with PlusNet support, but I've not had a reply yet...
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Are You Running Your Own Server?

I don't think plusnet are blocking any ports for domestic users. I have a d-link dsl200 usb modem for my adsl, hooked up to a firewall, and have been able to access various services on my home machine remotely.

It sounds like the port redirect on your router is misconfigured.

regards

Roy

> I've been trying to setup an FTP server so I can access one machine at home remotely. Has anyone done anything similar, running their own FTP or HTTP server? I'm connected via a DSL-504 router so I'm trying to work out whether it's a problem with the port redirect on the router, or is it something that PlusNet are blocking domestic users from doing? I've tried setting up the port redirects in a few different ways as suggested by other DSL-504 users, I want to make sure PlusNet aren't blocking it before I go to D-Link technical support directly. I raised a ticket with PlusNet support, but I've not had a reply yet...

N/A

FIXED - RE: Are You Running Your Own Server? - FIXED

DOH!
The router only applies the redirect to traffic originating WAN-side. So, even though I was using my external IP address, the router wouldn't redirect traffic coming from a machine on the LAN-side. I VPNed out to another network, tried again & hey-presto! it works. Traffic going up the VPN tunnel bypasses the router and has to come back in from the WAN-side and is therefore redirected correctly. Simple huh? Now I know why I never got involved in the networking side of the industry
Smiley

> I don't think plusnet are blocking any ports for domestic users. I have a d-link dsl200 usb modem for my adsl, hooked up to a firewall, and have been able to access various services on my home machine remotely.
>
> It sounds like the port redirect on your router is misconfigured.
>
> regards
>
> Roy
>
> > I've been trying to setup an FTP server so I can access one machine at home remotely. Has anyone done anything similar, running their own FTP or HTTP server? I'm connected via a DSL-504 router so I'm trying to work out whether it's a problem with the port redirect on the router, or is it something that PlusNet are blocking domestic users from doing? I've tried setting up the port redirects in a few different ways as suggested by other DSL-504 users, I want to make sure PlusNet aren't blocking it before I go to D-Link technical support directly. I raised a ticket with PlusNet support, but I've not had a reply yet...
>
>

N/A

RE: Are You Running Your Own Server?

I run one with no problems just set the port forwarding to point to the machine you want. Set the port you want to use on the client and it should work. Is it just ftp your using? if you are using something else then you may have to forward more ports.
The best way is to get a port monitor from winternals its free and you can see what ports are active. Then connect out to a ftp site with the same client and see what ports it uses. Some ftp may use more than one port.

Have you got any firewall software which may stop it?

> I've been trying to setup an FTP server so I can access one machine at home remotely. Has anyone done anything similar, running their own FTP or HTTP server? I'm connected via a DSL-504 router so I'm trying to work out whether it's a problem with the port redirect on the router, or is it something that PlusNet are blocking domestic users from doing? I've tried setting up the port redirects in a few different ways as suggested by other DSL-504 users, I want to make sure PlusNet aren't blocking it before I go to D-Link technical support directly. I raised a ticket with PlusNet support, but I've not had a reply yet...