cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Plusnet stealing our money ?

N/A

Basically I am sick of paying 22 pounds for a service that is a joke, why should i pay this over charged rate ? I pay it because I should be able to game(counter strike) without lag(main priority) and use P2P. Now I ping around 50(if i am lucky) 100-200 (most of the time) with ventrilo pings of 600. When i do speed tests I am lucky to get 1 meg !! Now i thought plusnet was bad before I got my max upgrade, but now its beyond a joke. Why shouldn't i take advantage of say £6.99 (contract telephone Internet) or even get FREE broadband with my other contract !!!! Is there a way of getting out without the ridiculous charge of 47 pounds ?
12 REPLIES
mineview
Dabbler

If you're really that unhappy, and why shouldn't you be?, why provarocate, switch to the 'free' service, you'll get the £44 of the £47 pounds back in two months.

Looking around at the other ISP's out there, I'm not sure you will find a better service elsewwhere. BT and the ISP's have been overselling the capabilities of ADSL. The telecoms hardware between joe user and his isp has still got a lot of catching up to do.
shellsong
Grafter

On the whole the price PlusNet charge is reasonable for a broadband internet connection considering the amount they have to pay to provide those services. You need to realise that £13-14 per month is needed to cover the cost of ISP overheads and BT line rental for ADSL and the companies offering free or cheap broadband must of necessity be obtaining this from customers by other means! Bandwidth costs and profits make up the rest of the monthly charge

It can be argued that their implementation of the service is patchy and leaves a lot to be desired, also I think it would be reasonable to suggest that they could almost double the bandwidth available to their customers, halving core contention and still make a profit using BT Centrals.

If they could find a good, reliable LLU partner with properly sorted hardware preferably capable of ADSL2+ they could do what they attempted to do with Tiscali and bring down core bandwidth costs way below BTw's Centrals, bringing the benefits of faster, more stable connections and improved bandwidth

The £47 charge you balk at is presumably because you chose to defer the cost of activation-- why should any ISP have to pay BT for your ADSL activation costs which you chose not to pay at the time?
N/A

I can appreciate the £47 cancellation fee, but I think the issue is that the service has not been satisfactory, I know mine hasn't, and I am moving because of this. I think the fee should be waived out of decency. After all, we all need internet nowadays, it's not a matter of trying something out and not liking it. Do you understand what I am saying?
shellsong
Grafter

I reckon a lot of people have a case for financial recompense for lost or crippled broadband services and that this need not unduly affect PlusNet's profits in the unlikely event of them implementing such payments (unless there are more affected customers than they like to make out) but the £47 charge is a completely separate and straightforward issue!

Just and adequate compensation is what is really needed and too many ISPs rely on people's reluctance to take them to court in the absence of a proper code of practice and regulation!
N/A

It was on the Times newspaper only a while ago, where it appears that all the broadband industry is in a sore mess, with just a few exceptions.

Every time ISP A lower their prices, all the rest are obliged to follow and to remain profitable the first thing they all do it is to get rid of their experienced (expensive) support engineers and replace them, if at all, with semi-literate minimum wage bods, who can hardly tell the difference between a CPU and a printer.

If one really wants good service, there are a few ISPs out there who can provide that, but at a cost.
N/A

Thats all i want is a good service! I want to game and download a little and i really dont think that is to much to ask !?! But paying this extra money isnt worth it ! pay for p2p and still get bad speeds, sorry but it just aint good enough !! Hope someone from Plusnet reads this and get back to me !
N/A

Cheesy Hi m8, i know exactly where you are comeing from, i dont agree at all about the cancellation fee, the way i see it, poor service no cancellation fee. Also was offline for 2 weeks, plusnets fault, and for the download speeds, im supposed to be up to 8MB, i did a speed test last night and guess what, 500k PATHETIC!!!!.
N/A

If one really wants good service, there are a few ISPs out there who can provide that, but at a cost.

But can they?

I think a lot of people blame Plusnet or their ISP for everything including contention at the exchange which is something they cannot do anything about.Until contention is completly proved to be not the problem then probably moving to an ISP that charges a £100 a month is not going to prove benificial.

Using myself as an example for instance moving to an apparently "better" ISP would not be of any benifit to me as I can virtually rule out contention at my exchange.To quote a few figures.

I sync at 6368 Kbps

A speed check during what I would consider the busy period returned

24-09-2006 22:53:59 5427.6

and one taken a few minutes ago

30-09-2006 14:42:07 5241.2

Why I got a better reading during the peak period I don't know.

But to me the figures that sum it up for me are some statistics regarding my exchange.

Serves (approx):
4,718 residential premises
249 non-residential premises

and therein lies the difference in my opinion to someone that lives in a big city for example here are the figures Sheffield for example.

19,988 residential premises
3,154 non-residential premises

So I am not entirely convinced that if indeed contention was the problem for someone in Shefield especially if it or any other city contains a high percentage on internet users that all want to go online in the evening, which I doubt my small town does....... moving ISP is not going to help much.

Just my thoughts on the subject and not picking on Shefield:it was the first city name that popped into my head.
Liam
Grafter

I'm on the Sheffield exchange, and at peak times I can't get above 512k speeds. Off peak I can get about 4Mb and I sync at 8Mb.

My flatmate has a BT connection and his performs in exactly the same way, except at off-peak he can't even get over 2Mb (with an 8Mb sync).

At home (I still call it home!), in Devon, I can get about 2.5Mb peak time, and about 3Mb off-peak. This is on a rural exchange.

I know it's not us (PN) limiting things - so either it's my equipment or line (which i doubt) or exchange contention.

One day I'll investigate some more...
N/A

I know it's not us (PN) limiting things - so either it's my equipment or line (which i doubt) or exchange contention.

I think there is an awful lot of variables involved.I have just looked back over past speed tests, and strange enough:and I cannot even attempt to explain why but I seem to be getting better transfer rates now then I was before I asked for my SNR threshold to be increased (along with the subsequent reduction in sync speed), and interleaving turned on

For example here is an off peak reading from when I was sync'd at 8128 but only had a SNR of 6db or less

12-09-2006 12:23:19 3990.9

compare that to an off peak reading today sync'd at 6368Kbps and a SNR of between 13-15db

30-09-2006 14:42:07 5241.2

It certainly makes one think as to what is actually going on.Perhaps(and I am only guessing here) on an unstable connection like mine was does the system slow down because of error correcting going on and things having to be sent more than once before it is right?...... only possable reason I can think of for the apparent disparity between the old(unstable) connection and new(stable) one.

Bye the way was it much of a culture shock moving from Uffculme to Shefield Smiley Smiley
shellsong
Grafter

One point folk miss about exchange contention is that LLU ISPs can control the amount of contention their customers experience because it's their equipment not BT's that the customers line is connected to!
N/A

One point folk miss about exchange contention is that LLU ISPs can control the amount of contention their customers experience

Hmmm thats interesting...... so in Plusnets case for example using Tiscallis' equipment who is it that would be doing the controlling?

Would it be Tiscalli to protect their network and customers or Plusnet: or is the equipment that Plusnet use although owned by Tiscalli actually independent from the Tiscalli network and therefor totally under Plusnets control

I am using Plusnet and Tiscalli purely as an example here but the implications could well apply to any ISP that puts some of their customers onto LLU suppliers.

This is more out of interest,as I don't think my exchange will be LLU'd in the foreseeable future.