cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aquiring Network Address

N/A

Aquiring Network Address

Hi, I am fairly new to this internet sharing game and I seem to be having a few problems.

My setup is Belkin wireless router/modem and two Acer laptops with built in wireless cards. My problem is a sporadic one usually my laptops connects to the internet through my wireless router ok but occasionally it will not connect or will drop connection while on a session. What I get from my wireless network icon is 'Aquiring Network Connection'. Signal strength is usually excellent but no connection to the internet. Its very annoying but I cant seem to do anything about it. If I switch the card off when it happens or disconnect from the network and the reconnect this sometimes works but often I can be without a connection on the laptop for up to an hour and when it does connect again it seems for no apparent reason it just does it by itself

Anyone got any ideas what is causing this and how I can rectify it. Is it a characteristic of my Belkin Router or the Acer laptops.

Steve
6 REPLIES
N/A

Help

Is there nobody who can help with this

Steve
N/A

Aquiring Network Address

Sorry, I cant help with this, but have you called Belkin Customer Support, I have a Belkin Router too, and have found their support the most helpfull of any company,

There number is 00 800 2 2355460*

* Please dial the complete number exactly as indicated, beginning with 00. Regardless of your location, do NOT drop the 00.

This is a free call, and let us know how you get on!

Londonboi
N/A

Aquiring Network Address

Thanks for that I will try and give them a call later today

Steve
N/A

acquiring network address

I'm having the same problems, i'm in a house with 5 computers, 1 which is connected directly to the router and 4 which are wireless. The one connected straight to the router tends to have no problems while the others even thought they have a full connection strength disconnect and say they are trying to acquire a network address. I have a belkin adsl modem with built in wireless router. Is this a problem with plus net? Can somebody help as my flatmates are driving me crazy asking about it. Thanks
Community Veteran

Aquiring Network Address

Your problem is local to/within your wireless network/equipment and nothing to do with PlusNet. Their connection is the other (WAN) side of the router which appears to be working correctly.

Check that all wireless devices are tuned to the same channel or are setup to auto-detect it. Try changing the wireless channel to see if that helps. Also check and maybe reset the settings in your wireless router to see if that helps.

Finally check you are actually trying to connect to your wireless network and not that of a neighbour. To ensure this protect your network using encryption or limit connections to the specific MAC addresses or your wireless cards.
N/A

Aquiring Network Address

This can happen sometimes when WEP is enabled.

It seems to struggle with the encryption and will not aquire an address or log on even though the signal strength is excellent.

Sometimes you just have to re-key the WEP key.

Turning off WEP usually gets you straight in ... but it's unsecure for sniffers. At the very least have MAC access in place.

I usually find this happens you mix different manufacturers wifi cars with routers etc. Hopefully a firmware and driver upgrade will sort it.

Rich