cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple OSX and wireless networking

N/A

Despite what the twit at PC World and Lewis's said today, it is possible to use an Apple on OS X with ADSL! I made sure that they checked out Plus.net.

Anyway, the question I have is that to roam from room to room in my house with my Powerbook I figured that a nice wirless system would be great, and my Powerbook has an 11MBS Airport card. Has anyone used either Apple's or a third party's transmitter thingy? I assume that all I do is take ethernet out of my ADSL router box and in to the new wireless base station. I suspect that it could be a brain melter so thought I'd ask if anyone's had any good / bad experiences with this, otherwise I'll run lots of cables around the house.

All input (!) gratefully received!

:-)

Mike
http://www.recordproduction.com
12 REPLIES
N/A

I am just waiting for my broadband to be activated before i use my Airport enabled Mac with my all-in-on router/adsl modem/firewall box.

I'll let you know how I get on.

matt
N/A

Well, i'm slightly worried about my setup. I'm assuming the email from plus.net is purely a formality and that after the line syncs you're home free. :roll:

I've set my modem to the correct settings, as follows: PPoA, VPI=0, VCI=38, G.DMT

Can't find any references to vc mux in the setup. :? I am using Mac OS X (10.3.1) if that makes any difference. :?:

What do I have to do for the modem to connect to plus.net? Just plug it in, or is there some hidden connection button somewhere in my software?

matt
N/A

Once your line is in sync, it does not mean you are home free.

BT may be performing initial checks and you may yet be disconnected before re-connection.

Only once BT have confirmed activation to PlusNet will it work properly.

If you are unsure if you have to hit a "magic button" then you should be consulting the manual to find this sort of detail out, incluing locating any log information on problems.
N/A

I'll wait for the email then!

I have found the connect button, but of course it doesn't work just yet. Roll on tomorrow!

Thanks,
matt
N/A

Keep attempting that connect button.

There is a early activation system in place, which should normaly activate your account within an hour of your attempted connections.
N/A

I have bene trying it since Saturday, when my phone line was cut of for a few minutes - I was online using 56k at the time. I assumed this was BT activating my line.

No luck.

matt
N/A

If your line is cutoff, this is usualy the process of relocated portions of your wires to accomodate the DSL infrastructure.

The actual cut does not mean activation has taken place, only that some work, or possibly a fault has occured.

Does your modem/router give you an indication if it has sycronised with the exchange equipment?

If not, there is little you can do but wait until the activation date has at least arrived before requesting that the matter be looked at (or it is automaticaly looked at).
N/A

The modem syncs with the line about 20 seconds after it has been switched on.

The status page of the router says that the line is G.DMT and that download speed is 500ish and upload speed 250ish. I assumed this meant the line was ADSL activated?

I don't mind waiting, it's only tomorrow that is the deadline for BT work to be finished.

matt
N/A

Yes, it does sound like your line is in sync.

Again though, this does not confirm that the work on your line is fully completed, only that it is connected to the DSLAM.

The date given by PlusNet is not a deadline, but what BT have reported as the estimated date for activation / guess work bassed on the average time and times BT quote.
N/A

Thanks, you've been most helpful.

I will just sit tight! Wink

matt
N/A

Got the activation email at 1pm today, got home and entered the only other detail i was missing (home gateway = @plusdsl.net) and clicked connect. Connected message displayed immediately, rather then the connecting of previous attempts.

Using it now, and very pleased with it so far.

matt
N/A

:lol:

yep cracked that one, i am using a netgear DG824m wirless for a pc, imac and note book all wireless. set it up myself in 10 mins and i'm no teckie.... give it a try