cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Mac ADSL Router installation probs

thegrafter

Apple Mac ADSL Router installation probs

I recieved my ADSL router, promptly hooked it up and filled in all settings correctly, checked & double checked. Completed all information on the website but when I click the "commit" button and then finally the "reboot" button the ADSL light flickers on the router then stops and I get an error message. I'm getting no joy with customer support who have now suggested I return the router as it may be faulty. As a Mac User is there a different setting I should be using?Huh
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Apple Mac ADSL Router installation probs

Im assuming that you are using the ethernet port, as opposed to the USB, as some routers have both. If so then there shouldnt be any extra settings, just set up the network settings in system preferences. Ive got 2 macs and a PC all on PlusNet adsl without any extra settings.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on
thegrafter

Thanks for that
I'm using the Ethernet port but cant understand why it wont work all settings are correct and tripple checked. PlusNet now says the router is faulty, have made up a ticket but have given me any details as to where to send it.

I also expected to be able to hook up 2 additional macs and PC but it looks like I will have to also buy a hub. How did you get around this problem??

> Im assuming that you are using the ethernet port, as opposed to the USB, as some routers have both. If so then there shouldnt be any extra settings, just set up the network settings in system preferences. Ive got 2 macs and a PC all on PlusNet adsl without any extra settings.
>
> Hope this helps, let us know how you get on

N/A

Good luck with the router. You will need a hub.

N/A

This is down to a common problem with the Solwise SAR 10. Looked into it a bit... check this link for details

http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=54ce5f7d53c11c00f56f8127dffa670a&threadid=2684

Seems the only fix so far is a replacement router.

Hope this helps
Aaron

http://www.fluiduk.co.uk
N/A

> http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=54ce5f7d53c11c00f56f8127dffa670a&threadid=2684
>
> Seems the only fix so far is a replacement router.
>

No - if you look further down the thread you will see that the apparent workaround (until a proper firmware fix is sorted) is to revert back to an earlier version of the firmware (1.37) and manually set the Ethernet port to a specific speed and duplex setting. This latter part will require using the Command Line Interface but it isn't difficult.

If people are having problems with the CLI then I'm sure that a brief description of the necessary command can be sorted.
N/A

I've had exactly the same problem as MikeD: Triple checked all the settings, tried different Macs, spent well over an hour hanging on the phone trying to get a fix from PlusNet Support, checked out the Solwise site - still no joy....and a severely lowered patience threshold! As far as I can see one cannot install the older firmware version from a Mac as the file is for PCs only.

The question is, as there would appear to be an issue with Macs and this particular router, why aren't PlusNet on the case? I'm still waiting for a reply to the ticket I raised yesterday at 3pm......

Simon W