cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone noticed a marked change in their usage figures in the

N/A

last few months?

Before Christmas our usage was somewhere around 1-2G/month then it jumped up to over 4G now in the last couple of months it has dropped back to 2G. I have put it down to a new computer and increases in the broadband speed but our behaviour hasn't changed and yet the figures are dropping.

I have had some issues with Plusnet usage charts and reliability and I'm just wondering if 'they' had a problem and I've been adding to my bandwidth in terms of paid for usage to make up for it. Anyone else noticed this at all?
12 REPLIES
N/A

Yes.
I use the internet the same way I always have, but since I was maxed in May my usage rate has more than doubled.
I hadn't even realised that the peak times had been changed to 4pm to midnoght, so in theory my usage should have decreased.

Instead I've gone from a maximum of less than 8 GB a month average to over 17 GB last month, and I'm at around 7 GB, half of it peak time, after less than 2 weeks of my present billing cycle. I also have over 600 mb of 'other' traffic in 2 weeks, and I don't even believe the 30 mb I was claimed to have used last month.

I could put some of it down to faster speeds, but my usage hasn't changed much, apart from trying to do big downloads between 1 am and 3 pm. That should have reduced my peak usage though, and it is still rising.

I'm on Premium 1 so I can't buy any extra bandwidth too.
Community Veteran

alawless:

I just moved from premier 1 to payg. With payg your off peak times are altered to midnight to 8 am but you can select a download quota for yourslef and pay accordingly per month. I've chosen 6gb per month for £17.99 and I can buy more if I wish at £1.50 for every extra 2gb. Also when the speed increases, depending on plusnets ability to learn from experience, payg will get the fastest speeds up to 24mb.

if you already downloading between midnight and 8 am then you may find payg a good option pn have payg options for all sorts of monthly download limits and you may get one that suits you. £23.99 for 14gb wihout plusnets warning emails or speed restrictions on traffic types such as ftp.

A
N/A

do you have to pay your £15 fee on top to move to payg?
N/A

where is the option for 6Gb at 17.99, I have looked but can only find 2G for 14.99 +1.50 per GB
Community Veteran

To get to the option you need to pick the £14.99 option from the main payg page:
http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_payg.shtml

Then click Change your broadband product. The top box will be your current product and you select the payg £14.99 option that best matches you current option eg monthly contract, no modem etc.

Somewhere after that you get the option to pick your monthly download limit. I'm not sure which page this option is on and I'm not really wanting to try and look any further for fear of messing up my change which is due to occur tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

A
N/A

Good to see my original thread has all but got lost so now this has just become an advert rather than any true indication of supplier performance.

Does amcclean work for Plusnet?
N/A

I think the thread has moved because the Premier product is not flexible enough, and the VMNBU is too innacurate.

No way would I move to PAYG until I actually get usage shown that I've actually used. Just because the new VMBU says I used an extra 10 GB in a month, without changing my habits or the amount I download, doesn't mean I have used that much.
If I was on PAYG I'd probably be charged for a lot more than I use, same as many have complained about here.
N/A

I think the thread has moved because the Premier product is not flexible enough, and the VMNBU is too innacurate.

No way would I move to PAYG until I actually get usage shown that I've actually used. Just because the new VMBU says I used an extra 10 GB in a month, without changing my habits or the amount I download, doesn't mean I have used that much.
If I was on PAYG I'd probably be charged for a lot more than I use, same as many have complained about here.

Pardon me but what are you actually talking about? I was asking about usage and you appear to have ended up talking about changing broadband products.
N/A

I agree, I wouldn't change until the VMBU are more reliable, I seem to have gained an extra 2 GB in 2 days, I'm not sure how or why this has happened, but I have a secure network, well I hope so, and find 2GB of http traffic hard to believe over 6 hours or general surfing. I would happily move products if I felt more confident about the system put in place to measure usage. As far as I know there is no regulation in place, like weight and measure to oversee this type of charging structure.
mikewogden
Grafter

I'm on the Plus product and having big problems with an increase in peak time usage.

The activity charts show a lot of P2P but none of us in the house use P2P.

I know I'm allowed 3Gb Peak but I think I going to get to that figure in 3 weeks not 4.

Then I know my line will be downgraded to the end of thr month.

What that speed will be I don't know as I'm only achieving about 500K from my 8 Meg ADSLmax line.

Regards

Mike
N/A

I'm finding the total bandwidth numbers to be roughly what I'd expect. However I have doubts about how accurately the off-peak times are regulated. For example, I often download OS updates over breakfast and leave the house at 8am, yet the stats show the majority of the download happening during peak times.

Am I imagining things or has anyone else seen this?

--> Stephen
N/A

Hi,

from how i understand it i have an router that supports snmp here.
I log the amount of total bandwidth i use. Though currently it doesnt produce time of day information its hard to tell. Though the total amount of bandwidth that was messured here was out by around 2GB downstream and around 500MB upstream. I did complain about this. They just wanted the data from me. Well they can pay for it if they want me to dig the data out of the database. But for my account it was out in the wrong direction. I see no reason why it could not be out in the other direction as well