cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know the reason for this ?

flicker
Grafter

My speeds last night were diabolical, it was like being back on dial up. I rebooted the modem and my pc several times and then gave up, I wasn't downloading thankfully, but it meant loading web pages was like watching paint dry.

Then amazingly ( :roll: ) It was fine and back to normal this morning.

Now tonight, it's bloody attrocious again. It's never been like this - too many people online I suppose? But I'm paying for 2meg, much more of this and I will be looking elsewhere, which is something I'm very reluctant to do. Sad

28-11-2006 19:26:17 813.9
28-11-2006 19:25:56 823.9
28-11-2006 19:25:37 767.7
28-11-2006 19:25:08 903.3
28-11-2006 19:21:21 788.4
28-11-2006 08:22:42 1932.3
27-11-2006 20:54:06 466.7
27-11-2006 20:34:07 401.3
27-11-2006 20:23:17 718.4
11 REPLIES
flicker
Grafter

Hmmm 28 views and no replies. I guess the answer is no then.

Funnily enough, it's almost back to normal again this morning - Your current speed is:

1.68 Mbps

Obviously something to do with the amount of people using it at night, which isn't good enough really is it?

Sad
N/A

OK, well I'll reply, then. Your speed tests were conducted in the evening 'rush hour' when most people are online. I doubt changing to another ISP would improve matters. It's something we have to live with Smiley
N/A

very blue n big Tongue

-----

It COULD be plus.net being slow, however it could also be exchange problems. There are more exchanges over-loaded at the moment than there are working normally. If it is the case yours is very overloaded then your speeds will suffer ESPECIALLY at peak times.

The best way to check where the problems lie is normally the BT speedchecker. That lets you cut p.net out of the equation and perform a speed test directly on the BT line.

If that comes out at 800k then that is the speed you would of been getting whatever ISP you were with. If however it comes out at 7000k then the problem is with the plusnet part of the network. (normally)
flicker
Grafter

Thanks for answering (both of you Cheesy )

I should've mentioned I haven't had the line upgrade, so am still on 2meg. I read on here the various problems people have had, so left well alone, 2meg was fast enough for my browsing!

Looking back over the whole list of my speed tests, theres only been once out of the whole month of November when it was anything like it should be for 2meg - around 8am the other morning.

Of course the best one of all was - 30-10-2006 23:06:08 3210

When I was round my friend's place who is on 8meg with BT! Cheesy

Okay, now tried 4 times to do the BT tester, and have got this -

The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for user 01xxxxxxxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1909 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

So it's looking like PlusNet then, no surprise really. Sad
N/A

I had this at BTopenworld and it got so bad they cut you off between 18:30 and 20:30 only they did not tell you this when you called their techanical support they just kept blaming your equipment.
In the end I ditched them and came here and saved money in the transfer
N/A

flicker
Grafter

Your current speed is:

217.00kbps

Which means you can download at 27.13 KB/sec. from our servers. Our results show that your current speed is below the level we would expect for your product, you may be able to increase the speed of your connection by adjusting your settings.

Absolutely disgraceful, it's getting worse. I just tried using a dial up modem on another 0845 company I have an account with, and I swear it didn't seem much slower. I get around 1800-1900kbps all day long until it gets to 5 oclock when all the kiddies come online. How long have we got to put up with thisHuh? Evil
flicker
Grafter

Just my nightly update

Your current speed is:

349.40kbps

Woo hoo, it's getting better. :roll:

Please somebody, please answer me. WHY is it so slow from about 5pm until 11pm? That's all I want to know. And will it be forever, because I'm not happy to stay with this company if so. It's not fair. And it's not acceptable. I live 50 metres from the exchange. And I am on up to 2MB, I haven't had the upgrade, although my exchange has been enabled. So what's the excuses? I live in a tiny village where I doubt more than 20 of the houses have a computer, let alone broadband. So I don't think it's going to be a BT problem. Should I do a contact ticket or will this be a waste of time? Please, I am getting so fed up with this, can somebody at least put something reassuring here or not? :?:

Oh and by the way, my first post was edited as if I said something terribly rude, and it was only b l o o d y - since when does that required censoring? :roll:
N/A

It has to be a contention issue. Raise a question.
N/A

Check your exchange for problems http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
flicker
Grafter

Thanks. My exchange is Green. No alerts or problems at all, and was upgraded to enable me to receive up to 8mb on 31/03/06. I will raise a ticket then if you think it will do any good. It's just frustrating. When I press send now to load this message, it will take about 15 seconds if I am lucky before I can navigate away from this page, much the same as it was when I was on dial up.