cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have any ideas with this problem?

N/A

Anyone have any ideas with this problem?

Right, ADSL was working fine yesterday evening, and I switched off the equipment (PC and Router - SAR703a).

This morning, I woke up, and switched on everything. Router sync'd as normal, but whenever I try to view a web page, I get no connection. I thought it was a dns setting, but I cant connect to the plusnet homepage. I contacted Plusnet support via phonecall, and then tried to connect via a dial-up modem to plusnet local rate. Modem dials up and verifies ok,but Im having the same problem there as well, no web pages will load up.

I then signed up to tiscali PAYG, and can connect via modem fine, with all web pages and email services working fine.

Does it sound like plusnet are blocking access to the network in some way? I cant think of any other reason why I should be unable to use my adsl service.
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Anyone have any ideas with this problem?

Hmm not sure what the problem is to be honest, but before you spend any more money, get back on the phone to Plusnet and get them to have a go at finding the problem, and then a solution.

I have been having a problem also but its not to do with that.

I seem to be getting high pings on gaming servers in the evening and no other time which is strange.

Sorry i couldnt be much help,

Dave Allan
N/A

I have got exactly the same problem - PC connects via Wip Tech and says connection is on. The support team have confirmed my PC is connecting correctly. However, now all I get are Cannot Find Server messages on broadband and dial up. I have another PC that also gets the same messages, but my work PC is able to dial up and connect and get web pages.

Support team are struggling with my problem - now been outstanding for 6 days.

I have Zone Alarm and McAfee Virus Scan, on a Win XP machine. It was working fine for a time - just enough to get me to realise how brilliant broadband is when working.
N/A

> I have got exactly the same problem - PC connects via Wip Tech and says connection is on. The support team have confirmed my PC is connecting correctly. However, now all I get are Cannot Find Server messages on broadband and dial up. I have another PC that also gets the same messages, but my work PC is able to dial up and connect and get web pages.
>
> Support team are struggling with my problem - now been outstanding for 6 days.
>
> I have Zone Alarm and McAfee Virus Scan, on a Win XP machine. It was working fine for a time - just enough to get me to realise how brilliant broadband is when working.

Pull up a Dos box, type :-
ping 212.159.8.137

You should get 4 ping replies, if this works type :-
ping portal.plus.net

You should get the same 4 replies, if this works try connecting to portal.plus.net with a web browser. If you get Cannot resolve host name you have a dns problem, check your dns settings.
Try a trace route to portal :-

tracert 212.159.8.137

Post results/errors and I'll see if I can see anything that could be the cause.

Jon
N/A

> > I have got exactly the same problem - PC connects via Wip Tech and says connection is on. The support team have confirmed my PC is connecting correctly. However, now all I get are Cannot Find Server messages on broadband and dial up. I have another PC that also gets the same messages, but my work PC is able to dial up and connect and get web pages.
> >
> > Support team are struggling with my problem - now been outstanding for 6 days.
> >
> > I have Zone Alarm and McAfee Virus Scan, on a Win XP machine. It was working fine for a time - just enough to get me to realise how brilliant broadband is when working.
>
>
> Pull up a Dos box, type :-
> ping 212.159.8.137
>
> You should get 4 ping replies, if this works type :-
> ping portal.plus.net
>
> You should get the same 4 replies, if this works try connecting to portal.plus.net with a web browser. If you get Cannot resolve host name you have a dns problem, check your dns settings.
> Try a trace route to portal :-
>
> tracert 212.159.8.137
>
> Post results/errors and I'll see if I can see anything that could be the cause.
>
> Jon
>

Jon,

The first ping (212.159.8.137) gave me 4 replies.

The second ping came back 'Ping request could not find host protal.plus.net. Please check the name and try again.'

The trace replied
'Tracing route to over a maximum of 30 hops

1 83 ms 127 ms 87 ms No resources.'

I am afraid I am not sure what you mean when you say I should check my DNS settings. What little understanding I have is that the / properties for my Wip Tech connection is to obtain DNS server address automatically.

Any use for you?

Peter
N/A

> > > I have got exactly the same problem - PC connects via Wip Tech and says connection is on. The support team have confirmed my PC is connecting correctly. However, now all I get are Cannot Find Server messages on broadband and dial up. I have another PC that also gets the same messages, but my work PC is able to dial up and connect and get web pages.
> > >
> > > Support team are struggling with my problem - now been outstanding for 6 days.
> > >
> > > I have Zone Alarm and McAfee Virus Scan, on a Win XP machine. It was working fine for a time - just enough to get me to realise how brilliant broadband is when working.
> >
> >
> > Pull up a Dos box, type :-
> > ping 212.159.8.137
> >
> > You should get 4 ping replies, if this works type :-
> > ping portal.plus.net
> >
> > You should get the same 4 replies, if this works try connecting to portal.plus.net with a web browser. If you get Cannot resolve host name you have a dns problem, check your dns settings.
> > Try a trace route to portal :-
> >
> > tracert 212.159.8.137
> >
> > Post results/errors and I'll see if I can see anything that could be the cause.
> >
> > Jon
> >
>
>
> Jon,
>
> The first ping (212.159.8.137) gave me 4 replies.
>
> The second ping came back 'Ping request could not find host protal.plus.net. Please check the name and try again.'
>
> The trace replied
> 'Tracing route to over a maximum of 30 hops
>
> 1 83 ms 127 ms 87 ms No resources.'
>
> I am afraid I am not sure what you mean when you say I should check my DNS settings. What little understanding I have is that the / properties for my Wip Tech connection is to obtain DNS server address automatically.
>
> Any use for you?
>
> Peter
>

Sorry, I replied by email but it went to support@plus.net instead of you, lol. I shoulda looked at where I was sending.
I've just gone to adsl from dialup. With dialup I was allocated an address and settings via dhcp from plusnet but when they activated my account they changed me to a fixed ip address so I had to put my own settings in. Go to "Start/Run" and type into the box winipcfg This should bring up a box of your settings(if you're using 98 or Me). Click on the "More Info" button and near the top your should see DNS Servers. There should be 2 (dotted box to right toggles through them) 212.159.11.150 and 212.159.13.150. Ahhh, just seen you're using XP, not sure about this but maybe the same as NT. If the above doesn't work try typing ipconfig /all at a dos prompt as that's how NT works. Again you should see 2 DNS servers with those ip addy's.
If you can get onto the portal with another machine, you can login and check your settings by going to "My connection". There may be an icon there with "Static IP" on it. Click on this and see if there's a red box saying you've been allocated a static ip which is, blah, blah.
Support may have sent you an email telling you this but if you can get dns then you can't get email, lol. I got mine yesterday and I was activated on 6th Jan. Let me know how you get on.
Jon.