cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone had this problem before?

N/A

Anyone had this problem before?

Just got my A360. Duly installed drivers, XP recognised modem etc. When trying to connect via desktop icon, all I get is 721 error (Remote computer did not respond). In the Systray, I have a blue CSA icon (ADSL-Waiting for initialisation), and a crossed network icon (ATM Connection - A network cable is unplugged). And since boot, the ADSL 1 light has been blinking at me (with contempt I am sure.....). I get a brief solid flash with ADSL 1 and USB 1 during Windows prefetch, but other than that - no response at all. I have switched filters around, tried going direct into socket with spare lead, swapped USB cables etc to no avail. Am I being a bit slow on thisHuh Thanks all.
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Anyone had this problem before?

Sounds like either faulty filter or its a bt fault, when you try a phone on the line the modem is in do you get a buzzing, if so its a bt fault.

--
Mike Homer
N/A

Hi Mike,

Just tried a standard connection phone in the same socket via the filter and the line is clear - no hiss, crackles or anything. From what I've read on the boards about faulty filters (esp. YCL as I have been sent), this could be the cause I guess. What do you think before I nip out and buy some better ones?

thanks

Ian

> Sounds like either faulty filter or its a bt fault, when you try a phone on the line the modem is in do you get a buzzing, if so its a bt fault.
>
>
>
> --
> Mike Homer

elton
Grafter

Try it without a filter first. If you can't get a connection at all without a filter, it's unlikely to be a problem with the filter.

> Hi Mike,
>
> Just tried a standard connection phone in the same socket via the filter and the line is clear - no hiss, crackles or anything. From what I've read on the boards about faulty filters (esp. YCL as I have been sent), this could be the cause I guess. What do you think before I nip out and buy some better ones?
>
> thanks
>
> Ian
>
>
> > Sounds like either faulty filter or its a bt fault, when you try a phone on the line the modem is in do you get a buzzing, if so its a bt fault.
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Mike Homer
>
>

--
Skonko!
N/A

OK, went and bought a couple of "proper" BT filters from Maplin. And Lo and behold, I can now hear modem-like squeals and blips in the background when connecting via the new filters. (Absolute nothingness with the YCL's). Upon receiving calls,(mobile tested) I now hear what sounds like a small lawnmower start droning for a few secs every few moments.

I guess it sounds like a BT problem. Any suggestions for next course of action? Zero response from Plusnet so far.

Thanks folks

Ian
N/A

> OK, went and bought a couple of "proper" BT filters from Maplin. And Lo and behold, I can now hear modem-like squeals and blips in the background when connecting via the new filters. (Absolute nothingness with the YCL's). Upon receiving calls,(mobile tested) I now hear what sounds like a small lawnmower start droning for a few secs every few moments.
>
> I guess it sounds like a BT problem. Any suggestions for next course of action? Zero response from Plusnet so far.
>
> Thanks folks
>
> Ian

Hi Ian

As Nodle said above, first unplug everything connected to all phone sockets including sky digital. Then plug your ADSL into a phone socket without a filter (direct connect), preferably your master socket. Can you now connect to ADSL?

If you can, then add a phone in another phone socket via a filter. If you lose your ADSL connection - duff filter. Keep changing the filter until you get success.

If the filters are working you shouldn't hear any noise in the background. These filters seem so touchy and there seems to be a high failure rate regardless of the make.
N/A

If you have an AMD check out my post above
N/A

Thanks Richard,

I now just seem to get persistant connection drops and zero data transfer when eventually the link is available. Everything web wise just hangs...

I do indeed have an AMD Athlon 2000, that is connected via the mainboard. It's using the Via chipset and fromwhat I have been reading here, that could be the worst combination.

Any suggestions as to best course now?

PCI/USB card and still connect via the A360?
Jack in the modem and go for a PCI setup?
Other?

For safety I still have my trusty 56K installed in the machine. How prudent was that!!!

I am all for customers being empowered as PlustNet want is to believe, but to gain the most useful advice and experience from other users about the problems they have encountered kinda takes the biscuit.

PlusNet.....Take Note....You're still doing OK in the polls...that may well slip away quite quickly if you're not careful.

Thanks to all the rest of you guys....

Any help appreciated.

Ian