cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone explain this to me?

N/A

As a complete novice on all things to do with phone lines, can anyone give me a simple appraisal of my line based on the following (sorry the tabs have got lost):
Data Rate
Up Stream 0 (Kbps.) 288 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 0 (Kbps.) 576 (Kbps.)

Operation Data
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 28 dB 14 dB
Output Power 12 dBm 20 dBm
Attenuation 22 dB 34 dB

Defect Indication
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 0 0
Fast Path CRC Error 5 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 0
Loss of Signal Defect --- ---
Loss of Frame Defect --- ---
Loss of Power Defect --- ---
Fast Path HEC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 1

Statistics
Received Superframes Interleaved 0
Transmitted Superframes Interleaved 0
Received Superframes Fast 1701331
Transmitted Superframes Fast 843942
5 REPLIES
the_norris
Grafter

Hi surepixuk

One Question: how long as the connection been active when you took this data?

From the status here the line Attenuation of 34dB would be good upto 2Mb +
The only problem is your 'Downstream Noise Margin' of 14dB. With each speed increase this will drop by 3db. The Magic number of a stable connection is 10dB. So 2Mb may be un-stable.

Luckly you may be able to do some thing about this. Best if you can move your router or ADSL equip to the master socket - and see if this increases. If it does then its your internal wiring that is making the problem (Interferance).

hope this helps

Phil
Community Veteran

ADSL: Understanding Line Loss and measurements explains what line attenuation and SNR (shown as noise margin) figures actually mean and what is possible. The section that is relevant from your router stats is in blue below:

Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 28 dB 14 dB
Output Power 12 dBm 20 dBm
Attenuation 22 dB 34 dB

Your downstream SNR (14dB) looks a little low for the line attenuation (34dB) you have and this may be the deciding factor if you get 2Mbs or not. Your line attenuation is low enough for 2Mbs but the SNR may mean it will not be reliable.
N/A

Thanks Phil, that's very useful.
I don't think the line had been up long when I took the test, I had just flashed the router and was playing around with it.
As it happens, the router is quite a way from the master socket, so I will give it a try downstairs next weekend.
I should be moving house soon, so won't spend too much time on it, I was just interested. Cheers
N/A

Thanks Peter, your post and my last clashed.
That's perfect, I'm off to read that tutorial now.
Cheers
N/A

I have managed to get the downstream noise margin up from 14 to 38db in one easy step.
And what was this simple thing that gave me a 24db increaseHuh
I swapped the cheap & nasty PlusNet supplied "Solwise" filter with a proper one!
Just to check it wasn't a fluke, I put the other Solwise filter in, and went straight back to 14db.
They're now in the bin!
All I need now is for BT to sort out my exchange and I can get my speed increase.