Anyone else experience this?

Fixes: 116

I was on Option 1
This page indicates an allowance during peak time of 15GB:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml
This page indicates 30GB:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml

My usage reached 14.47GB last week and I was throttled with my speed reduced to 512Kbps and not the 1Mbps and my upload was throttled to around 22Kbps and not 128Kbps.
Usenet was blocked and uploading to my website was totally useless with constant time-outs.

No-one can tell me why I was throttled so heavily. Also, my speeds can take up to 3 or more hours to return to normal after midnight has passed - no-one knows why. Yes I have phoned CS and opened tickets for all this!

Within a day of being throtled I upgraded to Option 2 but have been told that the extra DL limits won't come into effect until my next billing date, some 12 days after I upgraded. At the least I would expect a pro-rata addition to my DL limits. Also, each day I have checked and the upgrade hasn't happened and CS simply say it will happen 'tomorrow'.

A member of CS inofrmed me that my off-peak usage also counts towards my peak-usage allowance yet the website states:

'Remember, unlike other providers there are no fixed limits on how much you can use during off-peak periods'

So why have a peak usage-allowance?

No satisfactory reply was given except I am consistantly told I am throttled for going over my usage. 14.47GB is showing on my usage!!

I was also told I can now only discuss this by raising a ticket although the message you are forced to listen to each time you ring CS states that the new Customer Service regeme starts on the I4 May.

BTW, an regrade to DSLMax was actioned last Friday at the same time as the Option 2 was supposed to be actioned. I am told that will go through tomorrow. Could this be effecting my Speed limits?

If anyone has had similar problems and managed to find someone who has sorted this please let me know

Cheers

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES

I never did get a satisfactory answer from PN - just kept goring round in circle swith me telling them I haven't gone over my peak-time limit and them telling me I am throttled because I have gone over the limit.

I suppose 14.74GB is near enough for PN to jump all over you. I found the attitude to be along the lines of - 'soooooooo!'

I finally got a reply as below:
Please accept my apologies your usage is not being reported correctly. Your account has been added to problem 32001.

No action has been taken to rectify this.

I am now on Option 2 1 day before my billing date and DSLMax at the same time. I suppose they just hope I will forget all about in my excitement of the faster speed - lol

Cheers

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

keithcalder
Grafter

Plusnet " What are you doing"

I'm on option2 ( premier account) and recieved an email stating my account had light restrictions apllied as I had gone over 10GB. Its my understanding that this should infact be 15GB.

I raised a ticket and was told that the allowance had been increased to put me in line with option 2 ( 15GB), then the next morning, another email, saying I had light restrictions applied for going over 10GBHuh?WTFHuh

So I have returned the ticket today asking the idiot who replied to my ticket, whether he understood the limits published on the site with regard to Premier Option 2 customers, I await the reply.

I will post the full contents of the ticket once I get a reply.

Keith
N/A

Yeh I know

Ive had exactly the same just today... about 70 emails in my inbox at the moment stating i have gone over 8gb (I am on the basic option - 3gb peak allowance, although a couple of months ago this was 5gb) i check my usage chart, and although i am close to 2.7gb, there is no sign that i have used 8gb. WTF!?!?! Anyone else had this?
Community Veteran

which type of downalod controls are plusnet using.

the traffic management page states

Peak-time usage within a billing month
Up to 10GB Up to line speed* Up to line speed*
10 - 12.5GB Up to 256Kbps Up to 2Mbps
12.5 - 15GB Up to 128Kbps Up to 1Mbps
15GB+ Blocked Up to 512Kbps

the 1st speed being Speed of P2P, Usenet, file transfer applications the laters speed baingSpeed of other Internet activites

the sup page states

Product Warning email sent Restrictions applied
Premier Option 1 24GB 30GB
Premier
Option 2 36GB 45GB
Premier
Option 3 48GB 60GB
Plus 8GB 10GB

The two pages show a large discepancy over the threshold when restrictions shall be used both are listed as being for option 1 which was ONLY introduced with the news 8mps packages so therefore to say they later details apply to the old style pacakges is just plain confusing

which restrictions do we take to be in place restriction at 10 gb or after 24gb. Could someone from plusnet please advise.

A

I finally got a reply from PN on this.

Both of these limits are in place. Traffic managment allows us to lightly restrict your normal usage and this is reset each months. If you are placed on the sustainable usage policy your account will be restricted indefinetly as these are levels deemed to be excessive and could lead to your account being suspended.
[/qoute]

This was my reply

If I am now reading it correctly I have 15GB of Peak-Time downloads available before you start capping my speed. You block p2p and some other usage and totally throttle uploads at 22.5GB.

If I go over the 22.5GB limit by another 22.5GB you will restrict speed to 128Kbps and if I do this a second time restrictions will not be lifted until I choose a higher priced Option.

The above all relate to Option 2

I then asked what happens if you are already on the highest price Option:

If someone were to breach the highest level of the SUP, they would initially receive a warning email and then the account would be profiled, to prevent such high usage.

Not sure what this last bit mean.

HTH

N/A

I thought they started to manage your speed from 10GB upwards, so at 10, things start to slow, 12.5 means they get even slower, 15 means some are blocked altogether, and the rest are heavily managed?
N/A

What annoys me is that although you are allowed a 15G on option1, the restrictions start earlier. I have received an email warming me that I have used 60% of my allowance (of my 15G in peak time), and surprise surprise I am actually about 60% into my billing period. Yet, as soon as I get to 10G useage I will start to get restrictions. I have no problems with the 15G allowance, but to start restricting me when I am only 75% of what I am allowed I think is a bit much.