cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody out there seen the mystical 8meg

N/A

I have been with Plusnet for 12 months now and I was drawn in by the offer of 8meg speeds.Occasionally in the wee hours of the morning Ive seen 4meg, am I in the majority or minority?I just wonder if everyone else with Plusnet have a constant 8meg download speed.I have had one or two arguments with Plusnet and of course like the lager which is PROBABLY the best lager in the world the key wording is UP TO 8meg.Anyway I am leaving soon and hope that the rest of Plusnets suckers eventually get what was used to draw them to use this particular company.BEST OF LUCK

[Moderator's note by chillypenguin: All CAPS title changed to lower case.]
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

ADSL max is not a guaranteed speed because the speed you get is determined by your distance from the exchange (your line length) and its quality. Other factors that can affect the sync speed is internal wiring, ADSL equipment and local electrical interference.

Going to another ISP is not going to change any of that.

What are your ADSL equipment line stats. Posting them will then allow us to tell you what speed you are likely to get.

8Mbs is a theoretical sync speed anyway with the highest sync speed probably around 7600 => 7800Kbs. You then deduct the transmission overheads of around 15% to get the theoretical maximum throughput speed. You then round down to the nearest 500Kbs to get the speed that BT allow for the line. then you add in any local exchange contention and BT central contention and other users to give you your throughput speed at any point in time.
chymorva
Grafter

Re: Anybody out there seen the mystical 8meg

...BEST OF LUCK

[Moderator's note by chillypenguin: All CPAS title changed to lower case.]

Dyslexia rules, KO Tongue Tongue
N/A

i get around 5mbps all the time, which is good seeing as though my line can handle 5500kbps max.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

I think this post is very useful for understanding MAX dsl.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Re: Anybody out there seen the mystical 8meg

...BEST OF LUCK

[Moderator's note by chillypenguin: All CPAS title changed to lower case.]

Dyslexia rules, KO Tongue Tongue

I am not sure what you mean, looks ok, to me Wink

Chilly