cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody got an opinion on Plusnet's supplied modems?

Claremac
Grafter

Anybody got an opinion on Plusnet's supplied modems?

Hi,

I am thinking of asking Santa for a broadband connection this Christmas. Has anybody got any comment on the USB or PCI modems as supplied by Plusnet? (e.g. make/model, ease of installation, value for money, efficiency). Is there any reason I should go either the USB or PCI route? Grateful for any help.

Regards,

Mac
23 REPLIES
Brickinit
Grafter

RE: Anybody got an opinion on Plusnet's supplied modems?

hi mac
i recieved my usb modem last week and it was a real doddle to install plusnet supplied me with a dynamode a360 modem with everything to get you going. the only problem i had was with the splitter/filters,if you look back through some of the forums you will see there has been a problem with a batch off these,i went out and bought some more and it stopped any line dropping. the reason i went for the usb was, ease of changing over to another computer,be it to upgrade or if i wont to hook up a friends computer for upgrades or fixes (you know the big downloads)
hope this is of some help

malc Smiley

N/A

I also went for the usb modem, plug 'n play no fussing about and easy to install. My splitters also worked fine
N/A

The US modem supplied to me seems to be a nameless generic (I've seen it on sale at computer fairs for less than £40) Ten days ago it died and I'm still waiting for Plusnet to issue a return number so that I can send it back. At this rated I'll be lucky to have it replaced before next year. They are very efficient at taking my money for a service I can't currently use though!

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of asking Santa for a broadband connection this Christmas. Has anybody got any comment on the USB or PCI modems as supplied by Plusnet? (e.g. make/model, ease of installation, value for money, efficiency). Is there any reason I should go either the USB or PCI route? Grateful for any help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mac

N/A

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of asking Santa for a broadband connection this Christmas. Has anybody got any comment on the USB or PCI modems as supplied by Plusnet? (e.g. make/model, ease of installation, value for money, efficiency). Is there any reason I should go either the USB or PCI route? Grateful for any help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mac

Buy elswhere, you can get a lot of grief if things go wrong with plusnets supplied modems/splitters.
--
Reset
N/A

Hi Mac,

I bought myself a Controllerless Conexant PCI Modem (the AccessRunner DSL) from dabs auctions for around 24 quid - an absolute bargain at less than half the price of most USB solutions - and it works great. No speed problems (apart from the occasional PlusNet ended one!) and (fairly) easy setup too.

I'd definitely recommend it!

Regards,

Jim
N/A

The trouble with plusnet supply is your never sure what your gonna get - I suggest you purchase your own hardware and save yourself a potential headache......
N/A

Simple - buy your own!!!
I wish i had anyway. You will save a lot of money and if you need any extra bells and whistles you can get them - probably for less than the plus option.
Chris
N/A

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of asking Santa for a broadband ..

Mine was trouble from the onset, returned it to Plusnet. Bought PCI DSL from Maplins £35 with one filter works fine and if I have trouble I can just change it immediately, with no hassle!
espresso_mick
Grafter

Can't comment on PlusNet's supplied modems.

I bought a Zoom 5510 USB modem and went for self install. Never had any problems at all and very easy to set up. (insert installation disk, it asks you to plug in the modem and that was it)

If you buy your own modem you will have more choice and also the option to shop around to get a good deal.

N/A

Hi Jim,

Got any contact details for Dabs ... I'm interested in that Modem you bought and I'd like to see current prices.

Cheers mate.

John (email me at : jb@currantbun.com )
N/A

I'm happy enough with the PCI one - I was going to get it from Dabs, but by the time you add in the splitters, P&P, blah blah, it was pretty much the same price.
You'll be chewing your own eyebrows in frustration when your ADSL has been switched on and you're just waiting for Plus to send out the kit, though :-)
N/A

I bought the PCI modem off +net in October and it was very easy to install etc. Modems can be bought anywhere ( I'd go for PCI not USB - personal opinion ), however, the line is a different issue and I have had problems since October when I bought the service. I am told it is nothing to do with the modem :-) or the line to the exchange, or the Plusnet backbone or Tony/Cherie Blair or Sadam or Bush ... maybe as one support response suggests I am paranoid.
I sometimes wish I still had Homehighway

Phew thats better until next time the line drops
Brickinit
Grafter

> I bought the PCI modem off +net in October and it was very easy to install etc. Modems can be bought anywhere ( I'd go for PCI not USB - personal opinion ), however, the line is a different issue and I have had problems since October when I bought the service. I am told it is nothing to do with the modem :-) or the line to the exchange, or the Plusnet backbone or Tony/Cherie Blair or Sadam or Bush ... maybe as one support response suggests I am paranoid.
> I sometimes wish I still had Homehighway
>
> Phew thats better until next time the line drops

charlie
try new filters, i had an initial problem with dropped lines ( especially when someone used the fone, in or out) bought 2 new filters from maplins no problems what so ever.

malc

chino
Grafter

All i say is get one with the Conexant chipset as they are simple, cheap and don't usally go wrong.

Also buy the pci as the usb one does not look good and it sucks lots of power..

cUnDaLl
--
1.7 GHz AMD XP, 768MB DDR PC2100 Crucial, 120 GB HD IBM Deskstar

Why do we do it because we can...... Smiley