cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to boost ADSL signal?

Community Veteran

I've got a little (big) problem with one of the ADSL connections I've set up for my employer in a depot.

Basically we ordered ADSL and the order went through ok. I went on site and installed everything, got sync fine - no problems.

It worked for about a week and then it lost sync. I got the people on site (Im in Sheffield and the connection is in Coventry) to do all the usual reset stuff, with no luck.

The connection runs from a patch panel system using cat5 and it works fine from the incoming location (it's not a master socket, just a collection of wires).

But when it gets to our corner of the building, the signal is lost. We swaped over to different wires in the patch system, with no luck.

I've checked BT's checker and it does say that the location is very unlikely to get ADSL, so I suspect the extra 50m or so from the comms room to it's intended location makes it just too far.

We can't get another master socket and phone line fitted in our part of the building cos BT said it would require a cherry picker to reach the roof height (about 15m).

Can anyone think of any way of either installing some sort of signal booster for the ADSL?
Or getting BT to up the power sent along the line?
Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Chris
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What ADSL equipment are you using and does it show line atten & SNR figures. Without these you don't really know where the problem might be.

Trying other ADSL equipment may also be an option and if using USB, to try a router.

I don't think there is anything you can do to boost the signal or improve it as if there were load sof people woul dbe usning them. It's possible a better ADLS filter may help: Excelsus Z-420UK-A Dynamic ADSL Microfilter.
N/A

It is not possible to boost the signal, as the ANPF (iirc) only allows for certain signal levels.

Some ADSL modems are smart enough however to adjust the upstream power levels, such that the loss isn't as bad on the downstream leg.

The Draytek Vigor 2600 is one such router (with the low power UK firmware). Reports show that sync can be obtained and remain stable on a lines showing 6dB SNR. Quite a feat. considering most modems choke below 12.

Other things to check is the routing and utility of the wires from the patch.

1: They should avoid electrical cables. Not always possible, but certainly don't let them run in paralell.

2: How many core are you using? As you are aware, only pin 2 & 5 are required and supplied by BT. Master sockets provide a 3rd core from the ring capacitor. This can be removed at the patch as ADSL does ring.

If you are using it for a phone though (filtered by the modem) then make sure the pairs are balanced. IE, don't let the bell wire share a twisted pair with ping 2 or 5. Idealy, 2&5 should ocupy there own pair (for arguments sake, only use blue).

Short of that, is locating the modem by the path a no-go?
At 50m, ethernet should be nice and fresh and pretty much capable.
Community Veteran

I've been using Netgear 834s, 3 have been tried, the equipment is certainly not at fault as they work fine elsewhere. The first thing I tried was replacing the splitter, and using no splitter with no other equipment.

All the stuff my end (the side I have control over) avoids power cables etc so no problems there.

The cable does have all the wires needed as its cat5 stuff and works fine for normal ethernet and voice - its just the adsl signal.

I can't locate the router near the incoming BT wire pannel as our guys need access to it occasionally for reboots etc and we wouldnt have access to the comms room normally.

If there is no way that anyone can think of to boost the signal I guess I'll just cancel the adsl at that location.
Community Veteran

So, what line attenuation and SNR is the router showing? You need to be on V1.05 firmware for the router to show this.
Community Veteran

I would suggest locating the router in the comms room would be your best option.
Could you use Power over Ethernet to power the router, that way the router could be rebooted remotely.

Netgear PoE adaptor; http://www.netgear.com/products/details/POE101.php

Or if you have a spare cat5 cable running back to the comms room, someone handy with a soldering iron, they could easily make a cheap PoE adaptor with a patch cable and a few connectors from Maplin. (Other electronic component suppliers are available.) But watch the voltage drop, as this could cause even more problems.
Make Sure they know what they are doing.

Chilly
N/A

No signal booster, no upping the power, sorry.

You say no NTE5 fitted, can I assume the ADSL line is presented on a Krone strip? And is this on the DP pair?

If so, I would try to get a pair back to there without going through the patch panel system. Perhaps on a telephone extension cable between the two points. You can lash something up temporarily, even if it means running wires across the floor or yard, just to test.

I'm in Sheffield if you want to borrow an oscillator and amplifier to identify a pair.
Community Veteran

Thanks for all the advice, your suggestion of using an extension avoiding the patch panels was earlier thought up but I didnt think it would make any difference, but I guess it is worth a try.
Im not actually able to make any changes to the equipment in the comms room nor actually touch anything so we will be using an external company to do this stuff which means I dont have to go back down there again too which is also good and its not my money either.

I'll have a play with the firmware though from here (Sheffield) and then look at sending an updated router down.

Chris
N/A

Cerainly worth a try! Cat5 is all well and good, but in my experience, ADSL, or ISDN2 for that matter, do not travel well on patch panels.
Community Veteran

I've had no problems with the ADSL or ISDN for that matter through patch panels before in several locations, although I prefer to use a proper master socket when possible.
Thanks for telling me the name of the kkrone thing (the right most item), I had no idea what to call it and it always bugs me when I don't know what something is called Smiley
N/A

A word to the wise which I wanted to note sooner, but got sidetracked.

Netgear modems have been known to have broblems on low SNR lines, in some cases failing to work on a line where a cheaper model has no issues.

There is no real pattern to it from what I hear.

So other hardware may also be worth a possible look in.
LiamM
Grafter

Is wireless not an option?
Community Veteran

Thanks Phil,

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that BT also feel the signal once its gone through the patch and cat5 system is too low for a sustainable connection so I dont think it would help too much.

What do you mean with regards to wireless? A wireless router isnt an option as it means the equipment is still outside our normal level of control.

I'll go for the extension socket bypassing the patch panel option as the last ditch effort, failing that I think I will just have them remove the equipment.

Chris
Community Veteran

Right I've done a plan of the work i want doing if anyone is interested. once the work is done ill let you know how it went.
N/A

The plan looks fine.

I didn't ask before, but with the original set-up, you said the sync was lost. Could you still get dial tone?

As for BT, they can get a line in anywhere! They have their own Cherry Pickers, the two-man crew could get you a line in the warehouse in no time, they relish the challenge.