cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any point upgrading?

N/A

Any point upgrading?

I got 2MB (plus) broadband a few weeks ago and I'm not happy with it. It works fine for surfing etc but the main reason I wanted it was for Bit Torrent downloads. I'm getting 25kbps max which is awful. I've tested my connection and it is up around 1.8 mbps.
I know Plusnet throttles P2P downloads (if I'd known before I wouldn't have signed up) but I was wondering if it is as bad with the premier package? I would upgrade to premier if I knew my downloads would be 50+ kbps but I'm not convinced that they will be.
Any advice?
3 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Any point upgrading?

At the risk of getting the thread locked for being repetitive, yes it is worth upgrading.
BB+ is generally acknowledged to be hopeless for P2P. Premier is subject to some throttling, but I and a lot of others usually get acceptable speeds - 200k or more on a good torrent outside thge hours of 6pm to midnight.
. As said elsewhere, it's hard to say what is attributable to throttling and what to other factors, not to mention contention outside of Plusnet, but Premier is fine for P2P and I'd upgrade if P2P is what you want to do.
Community Veteran

Any point upgrading?

P2P performance seems to vary alot between users on premier with no real understanding why some get better speeds than others. I'm on a premier at a speed of 512Kbs and can max it out at times (50KBs), but not at others. This may be because of the torrents being downloaded but also because of the traffic shaping.

There is no hard and fast figures for P2P on premier but it is certainly shaped (i.e. slowed down) a lot more than the PN's claim of 5% accoding to many posters here.

Premier is supposed to be shaped much less than BB+ so in theory it should be faster but what speeds you do get may depend on many factors so a definitave speed if difficult to give.
N/A

Any point upgrading?

There is no hard and fast figures for P2P on premier but it is certainly shaped (i.e. slowed down) a lot more than the PN's claim of 5% accoding to many posters here.

Totally agree, if you happy to see speeds of 30-90kbs during off-peak time then I would upgrade.