cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any one experincing extreamly poor speed on 2mb

N/A

Just woundering if anybody else is having extreamly poor speeds from there 2mb connection. Just done a speed test and it is running ar 561.00kbps .

Is there anyknown service issues becuase non are shown on the service status page.

adam
31 REPLIES
N/A

PlusNet are experiancing issues at this time, which is estimated to effect 1 in 16 connections. This is cased by an issue in the way BT load balance PlusNets systems.

This has been raised to BT and both PlusNet and BT are looking at longterm solutions.

In the mean time, PlusNet are hoping to impliment a short-term solution on Monday.

Possible work arounds at this time, include reconnecting a few times to get onto a different pipe.
N/A

Still slow for me!

Yes, I'm on 2MB and rarely connect better than 512 it seems. Only just joined plusnet and I'm not happy with the QOS at present. I frequently get a dropped connection as well. Possibly a victim of their own success, more customers than their hardware can cope with, e.g. not enough pipes.

Contacted support, only to be told that the issue is my end, and nothing to do with their connection, or plusnet. They whooshed my line and found no problems. Might have to get a BT engineer out. I've swopped out my router and my filter and checked everything. But still the problem occurs Sad Not a happy customer, and might just take them up on their guarantee to pay for me to go elsewhere.

BR

Tom
Community Veteran

Run WinMTR for 5 mins. If you are seeing packet loss then you are suffering the congestion problem detailed above. The only work around at present is to disconnect your ADSL line, wait a few mins then reconnect. This should put you on another BT central pipe which may be less congested. You may have to do this a few times and check with WinMTR each time. If you get packet loss again, try disconnecting again.

This is a BT load balancing issue and PlusNet are working with them to find a permanent solution.

If you are seeing slow speeds and no packet loss then you could have a different problem.
N/A

You describe getting dropped connections.

Does this mean you need to re-authenticate, or resyncronise with the exchange?

Both can be BT related, with one more than conclusive.

Does your router provide line information, like attuation and SNR?

SNR is more important than Attuation.
N/A

It basically drops, and then it will reconnect in 30 seconds or so. Not sure about your other points as I am unsure where to find out that information.

I have tried reconnecting numerous times, but the best connection speed I am able to get onto is somewhere between 1mb and 512mb, a lot less than I am supposed to connect at! Cry

I have contacted support who are investigating further. It can't be my hardware as I have changed router, filter, switch, the lot. I guess it's either plusnet, or my BT landline. Occasionally I get on at the speed I am supposed to, but recently it is getting harder and harder to get on at anything above 1mb. Not really worth me paying all the money I am, is it?

BR and thanks for the help

Tom
N/A

P.S. I have run winmtr every time I connect,for 5 mins as suggested and I am still getting lots of packet loss each time. It's usually about 2-4 % loss. Sad

Going to give plus another week to sort the problems I think, then going to see what my rights are to move ISP, and get a refund for the shabby service I've been receiving thus far.

Appreciate any feedback - comments etc, but everything people have suggested has failed to solve my problems. Disconnecting from the internet, and waiting a few minutes - I usually wait 5, has taken a big chunk out of my afternoon.
N/A

ADSL is very distance dependant. The faster the speed, the loweser the distance it can operate at.

The more data sent down the line, the smaller the SNR value. Attuation doesn't change.

For that reason, BT use the attuation at a best estimate to if or not you get service or not. SNR however, can be different on two lines that have the same attuation reading.

Unfortunatly, PlusNet can't measure the SNR value for there equipment, or from the BT test pages they have been provided access to.

Only a BT engineer or your own equipment can give best possible values for this.

Conntention problems like you describe are typical of a low SNR value. Hardware needs a minimum of 12dB SNR to work properly, and without fault.

Furtunatly, attuation problems can't be cured your side, however, you can attempt to fix SNR issues. These cinlude reading the Wireing and Filter guides provided in the tutorials forum.

You could test your hardware without filter, with only the modem plugged into the inner test socket on your master BT socket (remove the smaller face, to revele this).

if you still get conection problems at that point, your best bet is to raise the issue as a fault to PlusNet, noting what tests you have performed. THey should be able to get BT out to look at seeing what they can do to rectify the problem,.
N/A

im getting like 20% packet loss to US sites and about 15% to UK sites.. Sad is there any way we can find out when this will be fixed, Im paying for a 2meg line but it feels more like dial up now.. i mean i got 10kbs for a dl!! !WHAT IS THAT!!! (and yes i know thats faster than dial up was)

Cry

Buz
N/A

I feel your pain!

Hi Mate,

I've got similar problems to you as well but my connection speeds are much lower (but I still have a 2mb connection). I'm entering my 3rd week of this problem existing now and I finally managed to get a BT engineer to my place. He tested everything here and he too got very slow transfer speeds when he logged into PlusNet using his own machine and modem. When he logged into the BT network he was getting clean 2.2 meg transfers. Very depressing. I'm still waiting for PlusNet's response to all this as BT believes it to be a problem at with the PlusNet network. I will wait until the end of the week but as I use this line for business I think I may be forced to ask for a full refund and switch to an ISP. I have tried every single trick in the book to get this thing going - I've changed filters, routers, modems, used the master socket, changed MTU's and finally got an engineer into confirm it all. I'm so fed up with it all - I wish I could pull the plug and move on.
N/A

Same problems as you it seems. Wish I could get a BT engineer out and see if the problem is actually plusnet and not me. It's very very frustrating, and it's throwing money down the drain. I can't really stick this type of service for much longer.

BR

Tom
N/A

PlusNets New Product Range

FULL 80kbit/second Bandwidth
Uncapped data transfer
No restrictions on getting virii AND spamming the rest of the plusnet range

All for the amazing £70 a month.. one time offer

and they have the ordacidy (spelling??) to put a "vote for the best "customer service award" sorry plusnet.. but you wont be getting my vote
N/A

Nor mine, I'm having much the same problem as Tom (although I'm on 512), it will sync, connect, and then simply drop after 5 minutes, then re-sync about 30 secs after. I thought I had solved the problem when I discovered I was using a broken filter, because I replaced it, connected, and was happily using my connection all night with no drops or PL. Fantastic I thought it's solved, but here I am the following morning experiencing drops again.

I dont know what else to do, I've checked the filters, unplugged all phones and plugged them in one by one to see if it makes any difference to which it doesn't, BT just say its a problem within the property which is no help whatsoever, and then say they will charge for an engineer to come round ( as if BT dont make enough money as it is)

I'm not sure how much longer I can put up with it ...
N/A

btw whith that winmtr think what host do you use?
Community Veteran

try www.linx.net
portal.plus.net
any website