cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another slow broadband query

N/A

I 'upgraded' my broadband speed, it was at a pretty consistent 2mb, following the upgrade it went up to 6mb :lol: it dipped and rose for the next 10 days until it settled at 1.5. Cry
Have launched the broadband investigation thing, have done the bt speedchecker but I am still waiting for the customer service department to sort this out, does anyone know how long this is likely to take as I started this procedure on Monday and there has yet to be any improvement in the service Cry
4 REPLIES
N/A

How are you measuring your speeds - and at what times of day?
N/A

Used the speedtester.bt.com, in morning, afternoon and evening. States IP profile for line is 6500kbps.
Have also used speedtest.net and speedtest.bbmax ,similar results with them, and I pay for platium.
N/A

So would I be right in guessing that your modem is sync'ing at 7392Kbps (7.3 or 7.4Mbps), which would give you a maximum "theoretical" throughput of 6.5Mbps data?

Your previous "pretty consistent 2Mb" - was that "data" or "synch speed?"

To be honest - 1.5Mbps data rate shouldn't be considered at all bad during peak periods. Quite a few users are suffering well under 100Kbps in recent days (weeks, or even months for some).

If at all possible, do a speed test at about 1 A.M. - and if you get significantly faster rates, then that would suggest that the 1.5Mbps is a result of contention/congestion and traffic management.

You say you "pay for platinum" - what do you mean by that? I didn't think anyone can chose their own traffic management prioritisation (and Platinum currently isn't even in use as of yet, according to PN's traffic management information).
N/A

Yes you guessed correctly re modem ect.
The 2 was 2 mbps - latency 78, if that helps
As re platium I was being thick and harking back to aol, but I do expect better paying 21.99 per month. Exchange is green, thinking back the higher speeds were really throughout the day including the 'peak' times. Will try a speed test in the early hours.
Thanks for your input, def wiser than me Wink