Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another question on MaxDSL

N/A

(Best Victor Meldrew impression)
I do not believe it!!

You say you need 43db attenuation for a 2 meg line, mine is showing 44.
Cry
SNR is showing as 31db though, so if higher is better that looks quite good...
25 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

Apologies if this has already been answered. I have read a little on the new MaxDSL technology and understand that bandwidth should ultimately be optimised on every BT line, taking into account line condition parameters.

As reported in a previous post, my line is currently out of limits for the provision of a 1Mbps service, with an attenuation of 63 db and a downstream SNR of 15.5 db.

Once MaxDSL has reached my local exchange, will I expect to continue to be limited to 512 kbps or will the line support up to 900 kbps for example? In other words, will MaxDSL be totally flexible in setting individual access speeds?

Regards
LiamM
Grafter

Unfortunately the service will still be restrictive in terms of line limits etc...

BT are developing a device known as RAMBO which will control the maximum speed possible for each user. For example, if the device sees that your line is dropped frequently, it will automatically resync your connection at a slower speed.

Whether or not BT are going to relax the limits is unknown as of yet, but ADSL as a technology is still limited by line noise etc... so even if BT relax the limits, it's not likely to be much.

For e.g. Approximately 30% of customers can expect to receive 8Mb, and a 1/3 of these will require a BT engineer visit and a faceplate installed.

Hope that helps you,
N/A

why a new faceplate is it diff to existing ones then... ? even if someone is getting 2mb without probs right now...?

just wondering.... :roll:
Community Veteran

The new faceplate is different and tries to improve the SNR (and possibly line attenuation) of your line. It will be used where peoples lines may be just on the edge of acceptable line quality for the speed they want to try. i.e if your SNR is low for 2Mb connection and it needs to be improved to get higher speeds..
N/A

What are my line stats like?

Line Attenuation = Down - 22 db Up - 10.5 db
Noise Margin = Down - 31 db Up - 31 db

My router is a Netgear DG834
I assume 'Noise Margin' is the same as SNR
LiamM
Grafter

They are relatively good stats. You're definately within the limits for 1mb and 2mb, and I would estimate probably good for 8mb also...
N/A

Any views on my line stats (new line now activated for PlusNet)?

Attenuation - D 63 db; U 31 db
SNR - D 13 db; U 9 db

I know I can't get 2 Mb or more, but surely 1 Mb is within reach? Note that the measures are taken from my D-Link DSL-604+ router's summary.

Rgds
Community Veteran

Limit is 60dB for 1Mb and with a 63dB line attenuation and low SNR it probably makes this even less likely. You may be lucky and your router is showing incorrect or inaccurate figures.

Basically you're too far from the exchange for anything better than 512K at the moment.
N/A

Peter,

Thanks for your quick answer, but how do I go about finding out whether the line could actually support the speed? I placed an order for 1 Mb which was rejected due to the line being "out of limits" - no test carried out.

And I'm told that tests will only be carried out if an order is placed. A bit a catch 22 situation.

As you rightly point out, the router measurements may be inaccurate? There has to be a way to check the line?

Puzzled...

Rgds
Community Veteran

Nope, the only way is to place an order - or wait for the free upgrades and see what you end up with.

The fact you have already been rejected for "out of limits" means the line has been tested and found to be unsuitable for 1Mb, so I suspect you are stuck on 512K for now unless BT relax their limits in the future, and this is unknown.
N/A

Hi all,

sorry to be a pain but my stats are
Line attenuation 32db down and 18db up
Noise margin 23db down 25db up

Any clues at to my MaxDSL speeds. :?:
N/A

exscue my ignorance but where do you find the line noise? how do you find out if it is capable of 2 mb, I have 1 mb ( I have been on it since last year) thanks for any info Cheesy
N/A

We're (currently) in the rather fortunate position of living directly opposite our telephone exchange (but we're moving soon). So, come April I'm sure we'll be on 8Mb/s Wink but only for a few weeks. After we move, who knows.

Our line attenuation (according to our Netgear Router) is:

8dB downstream and 2.5dB upstream,
N/A

Mariglenn,
If I were in your position I would not move houses :-) 8db downstream noise? Heaven...

Normski,
You should be able to access your line condition parameters in your access equipment's menu (router or modem). You're looking for attenuation and SNR (signal to noise ratio). Bear in mind that the readings could be slightly inaccurate (+ or - 3 to 5 db depending on the kit). If your broadband access speed is already 1 Mb, your line noise must be below 60 db (BT limit). If you have been getting 1 Mb for a few months, the likelihood is you're below 41 db (which I think was the old BT limit on 1 Mb access), and this could mean 2 Mb is within reach. The higher the SNR the better (minimum 6 db I believe).

Hope this helps