cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Speed Upgrade Question

dsmail
Grafter

I've just been upgraded from 512 to 2MB like loads of others. Very nice too.
I notice that PN now offers a 2MB service for £14.99 a month as opposed to my £21.99 for the same. Shouldn't we all be downgrading to the £14.99 package for the same speed?? There's been so much about speed upgrades and changes to pricing policy over the last few months that I have to admit that it's left me rather confused??

Any ideas??

Dave
4 REPLIES
janitor
Grafter

I think your talking about Broadband+ its £14.99 a month but during busy periods your connection is managed to give high priority to web browsing and e-mail lower speeds for p2p. So if you don't use p2p the change would probably be worthwhile but don't forget you will need to pay the one off £14.99 downgrade fee.
dsmail
Grafter

That's what I thought. I do use p2p but not heavily so I might consider the downgrade. Even with the £14.99 admin cost, it's still a good lump cheaper (about £70) over the year.

Thanks

Dave
N/A

Have you noticed how many postings there are about speed problems at the moment?

I'm suffering similar problems myself (see my recent post) except my circumstances are slightly different - I bought an upgrade from PN some six moths ago (1MB to 2MB) and at first everything was fine - until PN started to uprade everyone else to 2MB and then chaos. Now I'm sure that PN and BT will say that in my case this is just a coincidence but I do wonder if BT's various exchanges haven't got the capacity and that they are in some way overselling their service.

Yesterday I played "devils advocate" and reported BT to OFCOM under the Sale of Goods Act quoting "fitness for purpose". Basically, everyone has a consumer right (and this also applies to PN who buy bandwidth from BT) to expect what they buy to be "fit for the purpose for which they bought it". I've bought a 2MB connection and most of the time I'm only getting 500kbps - if that's not breaking the Sale of Goods Act then I dont know what is!

Now surely if we were all to complain to OFCOM (and that includes you as well PN) then who knows what might happen?

(Tip: for some reason OFCOM will not accept complaints from individuals so when you write your complaint state that you are writing on behalf of a group)
N/A

They would probably say that since ISP's have now realised the error of their ways, and now quote packages as 'up to xMbs' there isn't much they can do.
I think the best you could expect is the ability to change to a new 'up to xMbs' package for no fee.
Trouble is, PN don't do an up to 512k or up to 1Mbs, so they would be within their rights to charge you an upgrade fee, unless you agreed to be throttled at 512k or 1Mbs