cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Confused User

N/A

Another Confused User

I know there's been hundreds of posts and threads about the upgrades that Plusnet are doing, and i've read all the info posts and FAQ's that I can find, but I still don't understand what is happening.

Before all the talk of upgrades started, I had a 2meg Broadband Premier connection, and was paying £21.99 a month.

My internet is still running at 2meg, and i'm still paying the same price, but I had an email from Plusnet a while ago saying that this means I am now on their "option 1" account.

My question is am I gonna get an upgrade or will I have to pay for it if I want one?

There's been so much talk about upgrades and things lately, but other than being unable to access the internet a couple of weeks ago, I haven't seen any changes at all.

I read the product update page Here and it says I should have been upgraded on my first billing date after 30th March - but i've had 2 biling dates since then and there's still no change. My billing date is the 10th of the month, so the second billing date was yesterday.

I've also checked the ADSL tracker thingy that BT do, and it says:

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 5Mbps up to 8Mbps.

The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

So what does all this actually mean? Am I gonna get this upgrade or not? :?

I've also read that when you get upgraded, you have to leave your connection open for 10 days to ensure line stability or something...is this true?

If anyone replies, thanks for your help. Wink
18 REPLIES
N/A

Another Confused User

Hi, eventually everyone will get upgraded - you can push for a QJump if you want, but there's no real guarantee. (see the QJump Thread for the link)
As for leaving your connection on, apparently its a bit of a red herring - you can just us it as normal, and it will learn from as little as three successful connections, although the more you can manage inside the 10 days the better.
(Although again, there have been some issues with the software which is supposed to notify you of upgrade dates, so you may not get a notification.)

I suppose the crux of it is, if you are happy as you are, don't worry, just carry on as normal, and it should take care of itself.
N/A

Another Confused User

I came here for the same reasons as floydius above... I dunno what's going on! How will I know when I'm on MaxDSL? Will I get an email? Can I check independently? Speed tests still show 2Mb today... :?
shellsong
Grafter

Another Confused User

@floydius
Nice avatar-- pity it's too big! I thought I'd warn you before a Mod removes it! 80 pixels maximum dimension on these forums
N/A

Another Confused User

You should receive an email, *but* in addition to the recent email problems, PN have also had an issue with the scripts which generate the confirmation emails.
If you haven't been Maxed by now, then hopefully both systems will be fully functional by the time yours gets done.

If you want to check yourself, one way certainly is to use speed checkers, the other way is to look at the connection details on your router/modem.
The sync speed should change to be higher than your current speed.

Or you may notice faster downloads etc first....
bootletip
Grafter

lost and confused

confused - I pay the same price as premier although the accounts have different names but according to the extract from todays reply from support (see below) - the accounts are the same - so why can I only get 2.2mg pleople on cheaper packages can get higher speeds - I have done a speed test and at times only register 680 which even on the report using plusuertools says is too slow for that connection - I have been invited to pay £15.00 upgrade charge - in order to downgrade my package!

I'm totally lost and the help line isn't answering

quote from plus.net
your account is Broadband Easystart rather than Premier howerver the accounts are the same, so chaning account will make no difference.
As stated your speed results are within the guidlines for a 2mb connection. Are you experieincing slow browsing? Or a different protocol? Is this at all times of day?
N/A

Another Confused User

shellsong, thanks for letting me know about my avatar, although that's the first that i've heard of any rules about avatar sizes. I've been with Plusnet for about 2 years now, although I don't frequent the forums that often. Shockedops:

I use a similar avatar on several sites, and they've never bothered to enforce any rules - in fact, my alternate avatar is an animated .gif, which would most certainly break the rules here. Anyways, i've shrunk my avatar down.

It wasn't actually made my me - the little guy was meant as a joke, and was made by a friend of mine called Jigalypuff. If you've ever frequented the Armadafleetcommand.com forums you'll know who i'm talking about.

I animated it myself though, as you can probably tell. Shockedops: :lol:

Incidentally, if you've been on Armadafleetcommand, you might recognise my usual online nickname; Matress_of_evil.

I double-checked my emails, and I haven't received any emails from Plusnet about upgrades since the 10th of April - maybe I haven't really waited long enough for them to do anything about it, but it seems like it's been a long time.

10/04/2006
This is an email from PlusNet to let you know about changes to your product, as announced in our recent newsletter.

Your PlusNet Broadband Premier - Up to 2Mb (Monthly Contract, No Modem) product is now known as PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1 (Monthly Contract, No Modem).

We'll also automatically upgrade you to up to 8Mb broadband - this should take place over the coming months. Once done, we'll email you again to confirm the good news and let you know some important details about high-speed broadband.

I wouldn't dream of switching to another company coz I haven't had any problems at all with Plusnet; the service is great. I would like it if Plusnet just sent out a few more emails explaining what was happening though. I certainly like the fact that they have started doing the Plus newsletter, but I wish it was sent out a bit more regularly.
shellsong
Grafter

Another Confused User

I like your Mattress of Evil animation-- it's a pity larger avatars can't be used! (I'd willingly donate you the unused pixels of my avatar if it was possible :lol: )
N/A

Another Confused User

Heh thanks, shellsong. Smiley

I'm sure i'll be upgraded by Plusnet soon enough, but is anyone else having the same trouble as me? whenman posted that he has...(I assume you're a "he" anyway! Tongue)

Is there anyone else out there? :?

By the way, i've noticed that people keep mentioning about SNR or something in the other threads. What is it, how do you find out what yours is, and what is a good one?
N/A

Another Confused User

I means Signal to Noise Ratio, and very simply, its the difference between what you want on your line (the signal) versus what you don't want (the noise)
The higher this figure is, the better. The supposed minimum level is 6db. Depending upon your hardware, this figure can usually be found in the 'statistics' page.
(Its the Downstream or DS figure thats important)
N/A

Another Confused User

Statistics page? Where's that? There's isn't a statistics page under my account. :?

If you mean the usage summary, then there's no info like that as far as I can see.

For the downstream bit, if I put my cursor over the double-arrow icon in my taskbar, it says: -

Tx: 288kbps
Rx: 2272kbps

Other than that i don't know what you could possibly mean. Shockedops:
N/A

Another Confused User

Its the statistics provided on your modem or router.
All routers (waits to be corrected) provide this info somewhere, but only some modems do (its usually found on a web interface on your particular bit of kit - eg Netgear the default address is something like http:\\192.168.0.1)
What do you use to connect to ADSL? - If you use a modem, perhaps somebody will be able to give specific advice on whether its possible to get these figures from your kit. (and how)
I believe that PN can also get these figures by doing a whoosh test, but again this may need correction! :?
N/A

Another Confused User

I just managed to find a site that tells you how to find out what the stats are, depending on your modem model. Shockedops:

Modem Lines Stats

I have a BT Voyager 105 Adsl modem, (Supplied by Plusnet) and my modem says:

Attenuation
Local: 31dB
Remote: 21dB

SNR Margin
Local: 31.5dB
Remote: 13.5dB

So is this good or bad? Thanks for your help, I know you're probably fed up with me asking questions now. Shockedops: :lol:
N/A

Another Confused User

Its certainly better than mine.
I have attenuation 48 and SNR 10
shellsong gave me this link earlier on, which gives you an indication of what speed you may get.

And don't worry about asking too many questions - if people didn't want to help by answering them, they wouldn't come here and answer questions. Wink
shellsong
Grafter

Another Confused User

SNR of 31.5dB looks pretty healthy floydius-- You should be able to get as much as anyone else with MaxDSL Wink