Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another 1Mb problem -

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Another 1Mb problem -

Only since upgrading to 1Mb has this issue started -

If I click between different pages quite quickly I have no problem, but if I'm on say this forum page, or anything where I stay on the same page for a bit without any further clicking or downloading, my connection seems to 'stall'

I'm not disconnected (as far as I can tell) but quite often I have to click reload to 'force' it to start downloading the next page, otherwise the progress bar just sticks at the very start.

Any thoughts?

I tried the speedtest and it had me down as only a little slower than expected.

BT Voyager USB ADSL Modem, Windows XP + SP2.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Another 1Mb problem -

Hi - since changing to 1 Gb I found exactly the same problem. As you say it seems to occur whenever one has been on a site for a few minutes and then try to use a link only to find the process stalls. I find its best to click "stop" and then click on an alternative site via,say, my favourites and then get going again. I use Mozilla Firefox and have XP SP1.
So far its been mildly annoying and as my speedtests seem to average 940 - 950 I'm not too bothered but if you hear of an answer I'd be grateful if you'd post it here and I'll do likewise.
John B - Notts
N/A

Another 1Mb problem -

I am on 1mb been on it for some time. No problems what so eva. Only a few disconnections here and there but none know more. The service maybe be having problems
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Another 1Mb problem -

I have a solution - but not very 'usage friendly' -

If I connect to say, the BBC site, select radio and then play last weeks stored version of the Steve Wright Sunday Show, I can minimise the player and then click from site to site at really great speeds and never once have I hit a 'stall' - doesn't seem to work with Terry Wogan though.... just kdding Cheesy

I guess this resolution means I'll be using a lot more Mb's but the connection speeds are great - does this help anyone identify my problem though :?: :?:
lowry
Grafter

Another 1Mb problem -

I've experienced this issue a few times (I'm on Broadband Home Lite 1MB) but I also experienced it when I was on 512k. It could be a DNS issue (I have set my DNS servers to be automatically-assigned when I connecto PlusNet). I only have experienced this problem rarely, it does not happen all the time.

matt Wink
N/A

Another 1Mb problem -

I have had this problem since last week.

The curious thing is that it occurs on the office adsl connection and on my home 56k connection.

I have been running WINMTR both at work and at home and i see it as a fairly intermittent but annoying problem.

The fact that it is affecting both dial up and ADSL says something....what, I'm not sure.

Mark
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Another 1Mb problem -

I've experienced this issue a few times (I'm on Broadband Home Lite 1MB) but I also experienced it when I was on 512k. It could be a DNS issue (I have set my DNS servers to be automatically-assigned when I connecto PlusNet). I only have experienced this problem rarely, it does not happen all the time.

matt Wink

It happens to me most times I'm on-line.

So has setting your DNS servers in this way fixed it? If so could you explain in simple terms what you did and how?

Thanks,
lowry
Grafter

Another 1Mb problem -

PlusNet have the following DNS servers:

*212.159.11.150 and 212.159.13.150 will be removed in the not so distant future though.

If you have them set to be automatically-assigned when you connect then PlusNet will apply the settings for you, however you can specify two DNS servers to use yourself if you wish.

matt Wink
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Another 1Mb problem -

No set automatically so I'll leave well alone. :roll:

So can anybody else help, or failing that, can anyone explain why having streaming audio solves the problem, and more importantly w many extra Mb's will I use if I run the radio when I'm on line?