cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another 1 Meg Connection Question

N/A

Me being very stupid has jus found out i have a 1/2MB internet connection. Now i use an internal connexant accessrunner ADSL. And i connect to the net at 576kbps down and 288KBPS up. Would getting a new modem make it go to 1MB? cause im not sure how fast my accessrunner goes, and i have no idea how to find out. i checked the manufactuerers website but found nothing helpful on it.

Cheerz

*edit* And would the upstream increase?
8 REPLIES
N/A

your adsl modem usually can handle upwards of 8Mbps of bandwidth downstream and around 1.5Mbps up so your modem will have no problems running at the upgraded speed.

unfortunately, the downstream bandwidth will stay at 288Kbps (inc overheads) as plusnet dont provide anything higher than that at the moment (as most ISP's dont either)

roll on SDSL
N/A

so anyidea why im only connecting at 576?
Community Veteran

What product did you buy from plusnet? A 512K product or a 1Mb product? If you have a 512K product like broadband home 512K that is the max speed you can connect at.

You can't just get 1Mb by changing your modem. Your speed is set by the product you signed up for. If you want a faster speed you must request a regrade and pay the necessary fees to do so anmd pay the higher monthly fee that may be associated with it.
N/A

i have PlusNet Broadband Home Premier 1/2Mb (Monthly Contract, No Modem) - Original
Community Veteran

Which means your max connect speed will always be 512K. To get a faster speed you pay some money and request to be upgraded.

What gave you the impression you could get 1Mb speeds?
N/A

omg its Broadband Home Premier "1/2Mb" that read to me as Broadband Home Premier "1 to 2Mb" that should say 512Kb. Bah, thats a shame.

Any ideas on http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21201
N/A

dragonzero, please don't place links into other topics you've raised. People will provide answers without you needing to add additional links. I have posted a reply to your other link.

Cheers,

Aaron
N/A

LOL ! it's 1/2 (half) not 1/2 (between 1 and 2)