cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying loss of ADSL

N/A

Annoying loss of ADSL

My ADSL connection works perfectly apart from one thing. Everytime the house phone is picked up, or put down again, my ADSL connection is lost. If the phone chat is a long one I can reconnect so it isn't that both things can't happen at the same time, just that picking up or putting down the phone breaks the ADSL connection. Does anyone else get this and is there anything to be done about it?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Annoying loss of ADSL

Is this digital (DECT) phone?

There are 2 possible causes for this: 1) bad microfilters (I assume all phones are connected via ADSL microfilters. If not this is probably your problem) or 2) A BT line fault.

For 1 try some better quality filters like Excelsus Z-420UK-A Dynamic ADSL Microfilter or the XF-1e Professional ADSL Microfilter

For 2, try the automated line test from BT by dialling 151.
N/A

Annoying loss of ADSL

I am using the microfilters that came with the Dynamode on both the modem connection and the phone connection. I should perhaps have said that the phone is a DECT - would that make a difference. It seems a bit expensive to buy two new microfilters just on the off chance. Is there any way of testing whether these are at fault or not?
Community Veteran

Annoying loss of ADSL

Not really but I do know DECT phones don't work well with some microfilters, often the cheaper ones supplied with ADSL equipment. Just do a search for DECT in this forums, lots of threads.

However it could still be a line fault - see Getting Disconcected when the telephone goes!
Community Veteran

Annoying loss of ADSL

As a general rule the Microfilters that connect to the phone socket via a short cable are higher quality and better than the direct plug in type.

Chilly
N/A

New filters

I decided to risk it and bought a couple of the micro filters recommended here online. They arrived this morning and - YIPEE - they seem to be working! Early days to be sure I suppose but a couple of calls this morning have left my connection intact which has certainly never happened before.

But does this mean that the Micro Filters supplied by Plusnet are rubbish? If so why on earth are they supplied? I've suffered this infuriating problem for nearly a couple of years it now seems quite uneccessarily. Still I'm certainly not grumbling this morning - I'm over the moon.