cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analyze my connection graphs

GersFans
Grafter

Can someone who knows better please have a look at my connection graphs since being 'upgraded' to max dsl. Plusnet say there is no problem with my connection but the truth is far different..

http://www.nunkl.co.uk/plusnet/index.html [Page size may get large as I add graphs]

I have changed my router to a usb modem and swapped that over to a new router, the results are the same. I have also tried all the things PN advised me to in the tickets [15 things I think], still no difference. My stable rate fluctuates between 1500 and 3000, although it has been 2000 for the last few days and has settled at 1500 today..

My router has been syncing anything between 4.5mb and full speed (Yup I synced at the full speed for several days) but all speed test show a lot less than 2mb connection. So much so that this website refuses to record the test in case it affects the averages for PN [SeriouslyHuh? Are the real speeds too much to record?? Is giving the true reflection a crime?? Is this a partnership in some wayHuh]

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/speedtest/testresult.php?result=1429.4&test=8192&date=1148865471

or

http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed3/ShowMeasurement.php?ID=49,587,036

I am at the end of my nerves with this, can someone please advise me on what else I can do?

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Nice graphs Smiley

My inital reaction is that what you are seeing on your L8NC graphs is not closely related to any speed issues that you have, nor is it directly related to ADSLMax.

I could be wrong, & you could have your graphs for the days before being maxed that are absolutely clean, and the one for the following day that shows all this blood on blue grass.

Since your ADSL Max/speed issues are not that rare, whilst your graphs are rather special it is probably better to concentrate on the graphs.

1. Do you have any of your recent pre-Max graphs, or L8NC cvs files ?
2. The graphs look what one might expect on a heavily hammered connection - are you (or someone else) continuosly hammering the internet , or do you get the same picture when all your PC's are switched off, leaving just the router to respond to L8NC.?
3. Is there anyhting that you can think of that could explain that quiet patch that occurs most evenings?

4. Does it make any difference which Plusnet gateway you are connected to ?
http://users.plus.net/@gateway .
Rebouting the router a few times will in the end get you to a different gateway - they are allocated on a round-robin basis.

Ray
N/A

Some further thoughts:

1. THe tall red lines could be caused by your router re-syching - you might be able to confirm that with your router logs. (the low level red "noise" is something else.

2. The graph of the 5th May shows a step change in your minimum (yellow) ping level - was Interleaving switched on on your line at that point in time?

3. Its worth making public and posting a link to your "Live" L8NC graph. You do that via the L8NC user control panel.

Ray
GersFans
Grafter

1. Do you have any of your recent pre-Max graphs, or L8NC cvs files ?

I am sorry I don't have pre MAX graphs, I only found out about the graphs reading these forums and started the monitoring when I was to get Max'ed. I have had no need to use this service previously, main reason being in the 11 months with Plusnet I have never been disconnected nor had any connection problems. Truth be told I had a solid connection which was never down until May's MAX upgrade..

2. The graphs look what one might expect on a heavily hammered connection - are you (or someone else) continuosly hammering the internet , or do you get the same picture when all your PC's are switched off, leaving just the router to respond to L8NC.?

Only 1 computer connects to the internet on my network, the other 3 only do so for software updates. I don't hammer the connection ever, light surfing during the day for business purposes is the only use during the day [midday to 5pm]. At night I play Americas Army between the hours of 8-10pm, then I spend 2hrs on MSN with my girlfriend until midnight. The only other use is for online Poker, but thats impossible for now because I time out so much and get disconnected.

I don't use P2P and rarely download any files, I have the occassional FTP to website servers of my own but this is few and far between.

3. Is there anyhting that you can think of that could explain that quiet patch that occurs most evenings?

Not quite sure what you mean by quiet patch in the evenings, but the connection is always used between 8pm & midnight [19.00 on the graphs.]

As can clearly be seen in the graphs for this time of night the packet loss and disconnections are frequent. The router loses sync frequently and in trying to re-sync the router will often have to re-boot to get a connection again. Maybe its of significance that the router has to reboot twice before the resync holds the connection (hence the long red lines I think).

4. Does it make any difference which Plusnet gateway you are connected to ?
http://users.plus.net/@gateway .
Rebouting the router a few times will in the end get you to a different gateway - they are allocated on a round-robin basis.

I have never noticed a difference, no matter how many times I have rebooted the router I always seem to land on the following Gateway:

"Telehouse North, Juniper 2" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as ptn-ag2.

5. THe tall red lines could be caused by your router re-syching - you might be able to confirm that with your router logs. (the low level red "noise" is something else.

Yes I would agree, as said above the router will usually need to reboot itself twice before I get the connection back when that happens.

6. The graph of the 5th May shows a step change in your minimum (yellow) ping level - was Interleaving switched on on your line at that point in time?

Sorry I have no idea, how would I find this out?

7. Its worth making public and posting a link to your "Live" L8NC graph. You do that via the L8NC user control panel.

Sure, I forgot to add it in my original post:

http://www.l8nc.com/graph.php?jid=1fe1c83472f2723f2406a6882fbab2dc

Router is a: Zyxel Prestige 652R-11 with latest Firmware installed.
No other telephony equipment is connected to the socket.

As said previously none of this happened before I was MAX'ed, I had a rock solid connection that never once failed in 10-11 months with Plusnet so far.

Thanks for your help on this, I really have no idea what to do next..