Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An answer please .

bikepump
Grafter

An answer please .

Again this thread is not a rant.

As i look down the forum, i see a wave of "Connection problems", "awful speed","ridiculous connection losses."

I would simply like to know why so many have this problem ... i have fault-checked it and for me it's the exchange (BTW, when will this be fixed?) but if this is the case, why are so many others having this problem?

btw, everyone complaining of their 1.5mbit/s download speeds, i'm currently getting a maximum of 6kB/s and lows of 200b/s ! Cry

Please answer plusnet, i would just like an answer - and as mentioned above, this thread is NOT a rant.

Answers greatly appreciated Smiley

bikepump
3 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

An answer please .

Hi,

It's a very sensible question and one that I can't give a definite answer to, but can speculate one.

The nature of this type of forum, and particularly the Broadband Help forum, is that most people starting threads are doing so because they have a problem and are looking for assistance resolving it.

The very nature of technology is that things will go wrong and when you have about 200,000 customers something will always go wrong for somebody. Of course what that something will be could be caused by a number of things. Looking down the threads some problems are caused by customers' equipment, some are line faults or other things within BT Wholesale/Openreach's control, some on our side.

At the end of last year nearly half of the exchanges were showing red for capacity, that's dropped down quite a lot since but since BT started issuing reports on this there's always been some exchanges with a red status. Probably gets a bit like painting the Forth Bridge, by the time they've round fixing each exchange it's time to start over again.
N/A

Re: An answer please .

btw, everyone complaining of their 1.5mbit/s download speeds, i'm currently getting a maximum of 6kB/s and lows of 200b/s !

Well I haven't seen too many complaints of "only" having 1.5mbit/s downloads!

If you are seeing those speeds on HTTP websites & HTTP downloads then perhaps your account is being restricted because you're over your monthly allowance?

If it's FTP downloads then unless you are on PAYG or a business product, these are prioritised as Silver (Gold otherwise) and at peak times will run very slowly - up to about 70k/s during peak it seems from other postings on the forums. I don't know myself as I have little reason to use FTP.

If you are trying to use P2P or usenet, then these are the lowest priority on any residential package other than PAYG (where they are prioritised as Gold I believe). On Business I think both are prioritised as Silver, but basically if you're not on PAYG, you can forget using either of these during peak times, to get good speeds you'll have to wait 'til the time of night when only badgers and owls are still awake!

If your downloads fall into the last category, then it's probably not a problem with your exchanges, it's more than likely PlusNet's over-enthusiastic (to be polite) Traffic Management system which, tries to ensure that HTPP can run at 7Mb/s on Titanium, but unfortunatley means anything below gold crawls along at less than 10K/s during peak. Apparently that's working as designed... ho hum.. :roll:

In March there should be an increase in capacity (bandwidth) and speeds may then improve - and one would hope significantly for the lower priority traffic. But, only time will tell.
bikepump
Grafter

An answer please .

thanks for the responses everyone.

In reply to the last post, my speeds have been like that since halfway through December, so it's not my limit.

I also wondered, any ideas how long until the BT exchange is not on red levelHuh

Thanks