Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 59 dB
Margin 17 dB
Errored Seconds 10
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 557897
Speed 1152 k

Do i have any chance of getting 2mb?

Is there any tweaking i can do or anything that can be done to improve my line?

Thanks - John
3 REPLIES
N/A

Am i stuck on 1mb?

It depends if your line can support up more than 1meg. I was getting 2.2meg from BT before changing to Plusnet Premier Plus (up to 2meg) where it appeared that I was stuck on 1meg. I called Plusnet Customer Services and let them know that my line is able to support 2.2meg. The very helpful guy (honestly) on the phone said that 1meg max. was the info that BT had supplied Plusenet with so they assumed that this the max that my line could support. But as I mentioned to Plusnet, my line was receiving 2.2meg prior to switching so Plusnet is going to 'upgrade' my line to 2meg in the next 5 - 7 days.
Alecto
Grafter

Am i stuck on 1mb?

@westerlea
Your downstream loop loss needs technically to be below 43db to support a 2Mb line, and below 60 to support 1Mb. 2Mb often works a bit above 43db - say 47 or 48 might work, but your figure of 59 does look a little high - just below the limit for 1Mb.

One can't say definitely without trying it out (if BT will do that - sometimes they stick strictly to the limits and turn down anything else out of hand), but it doesn't look promising.

And other than moving closer to the exchange, there's nothing you can do to change these figures significantly.
Unless you can convince BT that your phone line is faulty and get them to replace all the wiring from your house to the exchange.

Cry
N/A

Am i stuck on 1mb?

Thanks for the detailed reply gpattison.

I will just have to wait until next year, as will be moving to Edinburgh and can then take advantage of faster speeds.

John