cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am i doomed to stay on 1mb service forever ?

N/A

I tried to upgrade to the 2mb service only to find out that my line wont cut the mustard. does that mean im stuck with 1mb ? i posted this recently but am still none the wiser ...

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29016&highlight=

the bt availability checker just tells me i can get 1mb so does that mean the dslam upgrades are of no use to me when they finally get carried out ?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Reading that thread you have linked to it seems that your particular phone line is out of range for a 2Mb connection and 1Mb is the best you will get.
If that is the case then the the upgrades will not give you any improvement on your 1 meg setup.
N/A

I realise that now but what hope do i have of being able to get a 2mb service at some stage in the future ?
Looks like im gonna have to go back to NTHELL again, which i really dont wanna do but if thats how im gonna get 2mb then then thats what im gonna have to do.
Community Veteran

Do you have any line figures? This would help in giving some idea as to just how much over the current limit for 2Mb you are.

Many routers and some modems can give you the figures if you go into the setup programs.
N/A

Hi john - sorry to gatecrash this thread but i am also stuck on 1mb and would be interested to know if the BT Voyager 105 ADSL Modem is able to tell line figures?
N/A

My mentor usb adsl modem aint able to tell me anything other than what appears when i click on properties,hence no line details at all,just my connection speed.
N/A

same here, but mines a Dynamode.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed. There is no need to quote all of aan immediately preceding post.

Relpy to Moderators note by John (johnessex) If I had not quoted then people may have not understood who I refered to. I found it quite rude that you editted my post.
N/A

I would suggest

Community Veteran

would be interested to know if the BT Voyager 105 ADSL Modem is able to tell line figures?

Sorry but I just dont know the answer as to specific modem / routers ability to give you the figures.
Hence my statement that "some" have this option available.

Perhaps if anyone has one of these and knows the answer for you then they could post here?
N/A

Re: I would suggest

you try this tool:

http://www.zensupport.co.uk/knowledgebase/article.aspx?id=10383

The BT Speed tester only tells you your download speed. I would like my modem to show me other details which as far as I can see, my modem is not capable of.
N/A

Modem Diagnostics

If you are using a Binatone 500 USB modem, the software to read attenuation and SNR are hidden. When synced with the exchange double click on the 2 green arrows in the system tray to bring up the status box and then press control F1 together. (Make sure the status box is active by clicking anywhere in it before pressing control F!) This should add further info. Press the advanced button to see your line quality.