cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always on?

N/A

Always on?

Hi,
ADSL is always described as "always on" and PlusNet seems to say that there is no dial-up. However that dosnt seem to be the case. If I want to go to my mail, or onto the net the pc dials up and connects in the same way that my old 56k modem used to. Its quicker sure, but it dosnt seem to be "always on".
If anyone could help I'd be very grateful.
Cheers
8 REPLIES
N/A

Always on?

Allways on defines the way in which a connection can be made and the availability.

Depending on how you have your system setup, you may disconnect it manualy, or have a timed disconnect feature when you are idle.

However, the connection is available to use without incuring any further connection charges.

Your system is dialing up when you think it is. This is simply the interface through which your connection is authenticated. No actual number is dialed.
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

Always on?

Hi.

A question: What hardware do you use to connect to the telephone splitter on your BT socket? If it is a box with its own power supply and operating system then it will connect when it is powered up, and is therefore "always on" waiting for your PC to use it. If it is an internal PC card, or an external USB box, powered from the PC, then it will only connect when it is powered up, and the configuration and security settings loaded. This should, however, still happen on power-up.
N/A

Always on?

Whenever your PC is turned on and everything is working properly, your modem should be in sync with the ADSL exchange- in that sense, it's always on. However, it does take a few seconds to log on when you turn on the computer.
Community Veteran

Always on?

Some modems have an idle timeout after which the ADSL connection is dropped. When you next want to access the net it establishes the connection again automaticaly which is the equivelent of a 56k modem dialing up and establishing a connection, only it is much faster.

Also some USB modems are treated the same as a 56k modem by windows (depends on how the drivers interface to the OS) and initiate a connection via dialup networking - the same method used for 56k modems - if it has previously been dropped due to idle timeout or loss of line.

External boxes like routers which are independant of your PC tend to remain active and connected all the time - hence the 'always on' definition - although some routers also have an idle timeout after which the ADSL connection is dropped and automatically reinstated on a network access. The Netgear DG814 modem/router/switch has an idle timeout which defaults to 5 mins although it is recomended that this is set to 0 so the link remains up all the time to stop certain connection problems occuring.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Always on?

Cheers for the help. I'm using a Binatone Broadband external box that links between the phone socket and the pc. It dosnt seem to be time dependent in terms of dropping after an idle period. It looks like it connects each time I log on to the net after booting up. After that it seems to stay connected until shutting down. Its no problem really, I just wanted to see if it was normal.
Cheers
Community Veteran

Always on?

You have an USB powered device so when your PC is off so is the ADSL modem which is why it does not remain connected. When you start your PC it powers up the ADSL modem and then connects to the net.

An external router like solwise or Netgear have their own power supply so remain powered on and connected to the net when your PC is off i.e. they are 'always on'. They also connect via an ethernet cable and card in your PC which is different to a USB connection.

What you are seeing is perfectly normal for that device.
N/A

Always on?

Go for a Broadband modem/router/switch. That way you get true always on.

My NetGear 834G has been happily chugging away since before Xmas when I bought it (pressies you buy yourself are always the best)
N/A

Always on?

Thanks for the help Smiley