cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative ISP's

N/A

Alternative ISP's

I am becoming more and more incensed with Plusnet and I am going to start taking a look for an alternative ISP.

Before I do, does anyone have any comments (good or bad) to make about alternative ISP's?

cheers
M
10 REPLIES
keithcalder
Grafter

Alternative ISP's

You could be "out of the frying pan and into the fire" so be carefull. I have had a few probs with Plusnet too but looking into the alternatives, I find I'm still here. Smiley
N/A

Alternative ISP's

Have a look at DSLzone www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php

You may decide its out of the frying pan into the fire. The higher rated ISP's are also considerably more expensive and not without their critics. Most are suffering from BT induced problems or are LLU suppliers which may not be available on your exchange.

You pays your money and makes your choice.
ferryman
Grafter

Alternative ISP's

It is not a complete list. One of the best (value for money and customer service) is not even listed!

ADSLGuide ratings are, in my opinion, better. See http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp .
N/A

Alternative ISP's

I've had a quick look at a couple of alternative, tried bt themselves. i was initially advised to ask for a 'migration ' code, but after a quick check was told that for some reason that wouldn't work, and i should canel the service, and wait for the broadband line to be deactivated before i could change, which could take 10 days ( assuming its not done by the same team that are working on the faults, otherwise you'll be lucky if its 10 weeks!), so no quick fix there.

I also agree with the cost comparison concern, my 15 quid for fast broadband seems reasonable.

In the meantime I have just completed the on line broadband line checker, which i found on th enroadband page, now i am on dial up!, which has told me i have a line fault.

Not sure if this will help in any way, but NO ONE on the helpline ever suggested doing this, and as I'm now 7 days from the last response, and 11 days since fault report, I'm willing to try just about anything.
N/A

Alternative ISP's

It makes interesting reading especially if you look through the ones down the bottom which I refer to as.... to quote a beer advertisment being "reassuringly expensive" you see most comments regarding support as being top notch, excellent know what they are talking about, show an interest in ones problem etc.Where as all the ones at the top which I will call the popular ones do; with few exceptions contain comments that are not particulary complimentary regarding the quality of support.

So it seems to me if want things like good quality customer support you are not going to get it from a bargain basement ISP..... so I think it comes down to choices either one goes cheap and takes whatever comes in whatever shape or form which if you are not happy with it hardly represents value for money in the long run or one pays proper money and in the long run then perhaps it does represent value for money.But looking down the list it would seem that in most cases you have to forgo your MacDSL etc

But then again I wonder how many people complaining about the quality of Plusnet support would be willing to pay £32+ for a 2Meg connection but top quality support I doubt many.

These are just personal thoughts not a dig at anyone..... myself I am still finding Plusnet to be delivering value for money and see no reason to change.But should that situation change then I think I would move away from the "budget" ISP knowing that I am moving away from the "which is the cheapest no caps ISP" brigade on ADSL guide that surfaces every time an ISP is forced to impose limits of some decription.
N/A

Alternative ISP's

I've used 4 ISPS. Here's a very brief summary.

Nildram: was on them for years, once bought by Pipex I moved assuming the service would deteriate and I wanted to upgrade my connection. Bad mistake as they still seem to get very few complaints.

Data Comms Europe: Pathetic. Totally rubbish. An ameuratish comany that messed up almost all aspects of their service.

NDO: Pretty good, had some issues with very big downloads timing out but that was it. The only real problem was when I tried to leave they weren't too helpful but no other problems.

Plus.net: After a great start I recommended them to a few people who now hate me because they've messed up in mumerous ways. One of my friends has had all sorts of problems and the like to charge him for his trouble. They let him upgrade to a higher speed and took the money but when it was finished he was still on the slower speed. Now they've introduced download limits and I still know people who haven't been upgraded to "8"MB or anything above 2 even through they can receive more. I've had connection problems over the last 2 years, every 4 months or so something seems to crop up and I keep getting told it's my hardware when I know full well it isn't as everything was working fine before then. If you can get through the customer service can be good, one late night support person was very good and that's a rare thing, but we've had less good experiences too. When things are ok Plus.net are fine but I have to return to their support centre every few months to see what's going on. When I was with Nildram and NDO I never had to contact them more than 2-3 times combined in the space of 5 years. The download limits are quite debilitating and if you're downloading HDTV content and game demos which are massive you've really got to do so sparingly which isn't what broadband is about, and leaving my computer downloading after midnight is quite frankly stupid. I'm sure Plus.net are still better than many providers out there but you've just got to see all the complaints on the forum to see they can't cope with the number of people on their books. When I saw all their promotions to get more people I felt the service might get worse and it has.
N/A

Alternative ISP's

I've had a quick look at a couple of alternative, tried bt themselves. i was initially advised to ask for a 'migration ' code, but after a quick check was told that for some reason that wouldn't work, and i should canel the service, and wait for the broadband line to be deactivated before i could change, which could take 10 days ( assuming its not done by the same team that are working on the faults, otherwise you'll be lucky if its 10 weeks!), so no quick fix there.

Sounds to me that you are on an LLU. If you haven't received the promised notice before the move to LLU you should be given a migration back to BT.
Also this shouldn't be a problem anyway as there is supposed to be a new migration tool available. Trying to pin plusnet down on these problems has proved impossible.
Suggest you read this thread.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44113&highlight=

Good luck
Dave
N/A

Alternative ISP's

On my way to NEWNET

Can't argue with service ratings compared to PN although much smaller sample therefore subject to error.

Not as cheap as first appears as only 2GB/month and extra paid for in 3Gig blocks.

I'll be sticking with PN BB+ for the time being.
ferryman
Grafter

Alternative ISP's

On my way to NEWNET

Can't argue with service ratings compared to PN although much smaller sample therefore subject to error.

Not as cheap as first appears as only 2GB/month and extra paid for in 3Gig blocks.

I'll be sticking with PN BB+ for the time being.

2GB/month is all I use so it will be £2.04 a month cheaper for me than Plusnet PAYG which I'm currently on. I've checked out the official and unofficial forums, ADSLGuide, etc and customers seem generally happy with the service. The main reason I'm moving is that they still offer 1mbps fixed rate service which works perfectly on my long line. Plusnet doesn't seem interested in customers who have problems with ADSLMax.
N/A

Alternative ISP's

Fairy nuff Smiley it's horses for courses.