Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost daily disconnects now for no apparent reason

phobox
Grafter

Hello all

For the last few weeks I have been experiencing regular (almost daily) disconnects on my ADSL connection. From what I have witnessed, the disconnects are occasionally caused by loss of sync, but also Ive seen the connection simply stop (As in no data transfer inbound or outbound) for no reason at all - it takes a manual disconnect and reconnect to get it going again. Sometimes the disconnections last only a few seconds, sometimes minutes and rarely hours. Does anyone have any idea whats causing this?

I have ruled out software problems on my end, the only thing I can think it could be is the modem (which is a Connexant-based PCI modem), but I find that unlikely considering before a few weeks ago it was working perfectly.

Any help would be appreciated.
13 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

There are so many variables with this type of problem it is difficult to know where to start sometimes.

Can you borrow a router for a short time to test your connection with. It would be best eliminating your hardware before proceeding further. You might then also want to check any / all filter splitters you have.

See what you can come up with and post back when you have any further info.
phobox
Grafter

Just a quick update: I have noticed after reading through my logs that the connection seems to drop mostly in the mornings, around 6-7am. Also I noticed in my WinRoute log that after it reconnected this morning, the IP address assigned to the connection was different to my static IP. Shortly after that, the connection dropped again, reconnected and the static IP was back as normal. This suggests to me a PlusNet problem rather than a hardware problem on my end.. IP addresses are assigned by PlusNet, not local hardware devices.
N/A

TRouble Shhoting Disconnects

Hi robsworld,

Can I just ask and I hope you dont think this is a dumb question but have you checked within your computers & routers settings that you havent got "automatically assign IP address" via a DHCP server enabled? Because if your using a fixed plusnet IP address this might be problematic, I'm not saying this on its own would explain the dropped connections but I think you should check this setting.

Also check in your connection settings or dialup settings that your connection doesnt have a disconnect after xxx time check box ticked, ya! I know this sounds stupid but its still worth checking so you can be completely certain of this for further diagnosis.

**Have you asked PN if they could kindly run you a whoosh test on your line to see what results this brings, also if this test could be done at the times your connection drops the most.

**I know from my own experience with ADSL that noise on your phone line, the line balance, line attenuation, line length, distance from BT exchange can all be factors that can affect a problem of this kind, also stale ADSL sessions.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

Re: TRouble Shhoting Disconnects

Hi robsworld,

got "automatically assign IP address" via a DHCP server enabled? Because if your using a fixed plusnet IP address this might be problematic, I'm not saying this on its own would explain the dropped connections but I think you should check this setting.

HI ivn2mod,

Not sure where you are coming from here. Automatic assignation of IP addresses by an ISP is one thing. The router acting as a DHCP server and assigning IP addys to the lan stations or clients is another.

If the router is set to pick up its IP addy from the ISP there should be no problems. If it is assigning IP's lan side by DHCP then that also should not be a problem, unless the EU is running a server which is handling DHCP.

If I have misunderstood your post let me know.

Getting back to the OP.

As I stated, if you get the chance to try a router by begging. stealing or borrowing we could hopefully eliminate your pci modem from the problem. Did you make a note of the IP address you were assigned this morning? That might give us a clue.
phobox
Grafter

I will try my best to get hold of a router of some kind so we can hopefully eliminate the PCI modem from the problem.

As for the other things you mentioned, they have already been checked a number of times by myself. From what Ive gathered, the modem is losing sync when it disconnects... so according to PlusNet's documentation, we can assume its a line/BT/modem problem rather than a PlusNet problem... however that does not explain the incorrect IP address I was assigned by PlusNet.. which luckily I have in my WinRoute logs (yay for me): 81.152.172.48.

Heres something else as well, WinRoute keeps a number of different logs and one of them is an error log. WinRoute is set to keep the connection open persistantly, so if it drops it will keep trying to reconnect. Almost every time the connection drops, I notice this in the error log when it tries to reconnect: "Cant dial line1: The PPP link control protocol was terminated". Usually after some minutes it will successfully reconnect.

I know the problem is not software related on my end, the proof alone is in the fact these problems are still happening on my new server box.
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

After 3-years, or so, on ADSL, earlier this year my connection started to drop regularly and frequently. The line speed deteriorated, too.

As a result of the usual PlusNet-recommended "internal" checks, I tried replacing the splitter on my telephone........and bingo!

The disconnections disappeared and, of course, it was the frequent disconnections that gave an apparent drop in line speed, so it returned to normal, too.

Previously, I was 100% confident in my set-up!

Just a thought.....

Regards

Noel
N/A

As a matter of interest, my connection has start to drop frequently over the last week or so. I've had no problems in the previous 6 months.
N/A

Hi robsworld.

The IP addy you were assigned is a BT address. It would appear that your connection was unable to be routed, for whatever reason to Plus Net and was allocated a BT IP addy. This could be caused by dns issues your end or by a routing issue between you and BT.

If you can manually assign your DNS to Plus Nets ie 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50 and see if that makes any difference.
phobox
Grafter

Just a final update here. I eventually found the source of the problem, it was being caused by a filter which was plugged into an unused phone socket in my house. For some reason it suddenly decided to wreak havoc with the phone line, hence the constant ADSL drops. I have since replaced said filter with a nice new D-Link one and all is now well again.

Thanks to all those who responded to the original post, your help is much appreciated.
N/A

Glad to hear you are sorted.
N/A

i keep gettin disconnected very often too, about 10 times today and i tried everything but nothing helps. plus my speed is like flippin 182kbps on d 2meg premier. W.T.FHuh
N/A

Yeah it's pretty painful mate.. I got a router a couple of days ago and things are slightly better...but I still think there are too many people this is happening to recently. You can't really complain about 182kbps...I mean, i can understand, but +net are within their rights...it's in your contract. It's not all that bad really, still 1.5Mb's :roll:

Anyway...time will tell.
N/A

182KBPS is slower than my old one. :?: :shock: