cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allowance?!? I Thought This Was XXI Century... ;-)

N/A

Hello NewsGroup,

I apologize for my somewhat approximative english. As a completely new user and a fairly new UK residential, I have a couple of remarks. I am sure these issues have been raised more than once; nothing has changed after the rising of these issues by PlusNet users, so I am sure nothing will change this time.
I am using Broadband Premier option 1 at (theoretically) 8MB speed. I have been using the service for 2 weeks now. Unfortunately, last friday I have made the big mistake of leaving the connection opened while downloading using a peer-to-peer software, something I have always done in Italy, in the rest of Europe and North America without problems.
When I got back from Italy on sunday night, I have unhappily read that my "peak-time usage" (whatever that really means) has exceeded Level 1 and shortly after also Level 2 :shock: .
This simply means that in 2 days of usage I have practically killed my ability to use peer-to-peer, usenet and FTP, while slowing down other types of internet activities.
Now, about the remarks:

1) It's becoming more difficult now to connect to the internet: twice a day, when starting the connection, www.google.co.uk cannot be found, I get all types of "404-Not Found" errors, and sometimes the connection crashes my PC so heavily that I have to shut down it using the power button. The PC is fairly new, Windows XP, 1GB RAM, 3.5 GHz. So the PC is not the issue.

2) In the PlusNet Residential Product page:

https://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/

It is clearly stated that Broadband Premier is "Suitable for downloads, gaming and networking" and "Suitable for peer-to-peer and Usenet users". Please remove it, it is *not* true and it is misleading. Peer-to-peer works well if you can stay connected for long periods and you don't have to worry about peak-time. If you have to shut it down from 8AM to Midnight (because otherwise PlusNet will kill your P2P download rates to *zero* after 15 GB of peak usage), there is no way to efficiently use P2P software.

If I am missing something, please someone enlight me about it.

Now I suppose I am forced to stay for 12 months with PlusNet, because of the contract I have accepted. Ok, no problem... but now I hardly regret my criticism over Italy internet politics, that is incredibly superior.
I don't see any technical reason why that peak-time usage should even exist in a futuristic country like UK. But I am surely missing something else here.

Sorry for the rant.

Andrea.
31 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Allowance?!? I Thought This Was XXI Century... ;-)

If I am missing something, please someone enlight me about it.

Welcome to "Great Britain"
N/A

To put it simply you have been mislead and scammed like quite a few of us. You were sold a package marketed as being for 'power users' and then discovered the truth. Obviously the advertising on the site needs to be changed now to something along the lines of "For the same price as other ISPs you can download 'a bit!' do not even consider P2P" Rather than for gaming, p2p etc.
N/A

Sorry but the OP only joined last month. Where on PN's site did it say unlimited las t month?
N/A

It didn't say Unlimited that recently. however as the OP said the marketing is still misleading and false. As the services are no good for real P2P use.
It's like Nissan marketing a Micra as a race car, you could give it a go but you're not going to get very far Smiley
N/A

Hello NewsGroup,

I didn't want to raise a battle. I only said that if the advise had been more accurate and realistic, I probably would have chosen a different broadband service. I am fairly new here in UK, and I don't know if such "unlimited" (this word really does mean *nothing* in the internet world) download capacity even exists with some provider.
I suppose I can't do anything now, as breaking the contract will cost me quite a lot. Surely enough, all this does not make me a happy PN user .

Andrea.
N/A

Unfortunately as you only joined recently the download limits were laid out to you even if the marketing was misleading. Unlike some of the members who have been with PN before April who are getting scammed.
Cancelling your contract will cost you alot at this stage. Although isn't there a grace period for early cancellation in the first 30 days or something?
N/A

Hello elemetrix,

by reading the "Terms & Conditions" on PN website, it seems to me that the cancellation period almost "free of charge" is 7 days, which, in my opinion, doesn't give you the least idea of how the service works. How can I judge the quality of the service in 7 days?!? That's impossible. Sad
I will have to wait to reduce the cancellation fee. Otherwise, I will try to talk with the company I work for, to see if they can help me in paying that fee. Obviously, this step will not be a good marketing for PN, as a lot of my collegues are planning to subscribe to it.

Andrea.
Discostoo
Grafter

Its BT's fault. Well, Maggie Thatcher's really. but that's a long story. Wikipedia it.

See the story about Maggie Thatcher being blamed for Wayne Rooney's injury by withdrawing free milk in schools? v funny.

I laugh at the Tiscali unlimited broadband adverts on tv now. And the NTL people that come round my house telling me i can move to NTL and have 8MB broadband for £14.99 a month with no caps and no limits. Lies! Lies!! Lies!!!

You've done well to break your limits in 2 days though, i bet a lot of people in these forums would like to see speeds like that.
N/A

Hi discostoo,

well, I didn't know that the download limit history dated back to Maggy Thatcher period... In this respect, I would say it's time to upgrade the lines (how many years it is: 20? 25? I don't remember...).
However, yes I have broken the limit in 2 days, so the connection is quite fast (even if not comparable to what we are used to). But I am not concerned very much with speed. I could easily accept a 2 MB speed (instead of 8 MB currently) if I can avoid the download limits...

Andrea.
shellsong
Grafter

Unless I am mistaken you have 40 days to decide PlusNet is not for you unless they've changed the rules again while my back was turned!

If you give notice (30 days) before 40 days from the start of your account and ask for a MAC so you can move to another ISP you have to pay any activation charge PlusNet have had to pay on your behalf and the cost of the "free" modem, if you had one.

If you give notice after 40 days you have to pay the remainder of your 12 months contract.
N/A

On the subject of the 'free' modem can you not just return it? I want to cancel but don't want to pay for my modem. I had a modem already, I never asked for it, never wanted it it just came 'free' with the activation with as far as I can remember no option to opt out.
Unless this of course is just another one of PN's methods of taxing.
N/A

That's good o'l PN for ya, been with em quite a while now, but their recent changes forced me to look for another isp.......So i'm leaving now (off to nildram)as things don't look like getting any better.
Nice to see a company not wanting customers....
shellsong
Grafter

You could have opted to pay for the activation when you signed up but you chose to opt for the alleged "Free of charge setup"
Want the detail? 'You stay we pay' explained.

For every year you stay with PlusNet we'll guarantee that the cancellation cost decreases. What does this mean? If you cancel within the first year, then you will pay £47 for the activation. For every year you stay we'll reduce this by £9.40. If you also choose to take a modem as part of the offer there will be an additional cancellation fee of £25 in the first year and this will reduce by £5 for each year that you stay.

You can choose an annual or monthly contract when you choose broadband. If you choose the monthly contract option in conjunction with this offer there is a one-off charge of £11.75.

From that it looks as though there is the ability to opt out of the so-called "free" modem-- as is so often the case with PlusNet the opt out is probably hidden so that the unwary have great difficulty finding it. I believe PlusNet have this unenlightened attitude that if you don't return the modem within 7 days they won't accept it back even if the box is still sealed!
shellsong
Grafter

It didn't say Unlimited that recently. however as the OP said the marketing is still misleading and false. As the services are no good for real P2P use.
It's like Nissan marketing a Micra as a race car, you could give it a go but you're not going to get very far Smiley

Actually, taking into account 8Mbps connections and a desire to use P2P and usenet etc normally, I suspect it's more like hiring a Ferrari and being told you have 15 litres of petrol per month and you are restricted to London and the M25!