cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allocation of 8 IP Block and service outage?

N/A

Hi there,

I'm soon going to submit a request for a block of 8 ip's so I can host multiple SSL web sites on my connection. The only trouble is I already have active hosts setup on my link and I want to try and minimise the downtime.

My two questions are:

1) Roughly how long after submitting a ticket could I expect my IP's to be allocated, given there might be extra time involved in the processing of the RIPE form? (A few days? Weeks?)

2) When the new IP block is setup on my account, will my connection suddently go down until I do the reconfig to the new IP's, or will the change not effect my service until I disconnect and then reconnect?

I would just like to know what to expect from a service outage point of view before going ahead, so any thoughts are most appreciated!

Cheers,
Graham
10 REPLIES
Cloudmaster
Grafter

I'm not sure how long PlusNET take to change things over, but I think your biggest worry is that it'll take up to 72 hours for your hosts to resolve on the new IP's.
N/A

Not if I lower the TTL's on my entries in my DNS servers first! Cheesy Cheesy
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Ah, you're running your own DNS, that'll help a lot Cool

That being the case it'll be a much smoother changeover if PlusNET are able to tell you your IP allocation a few days before the switch (I think)
N/A

Yes that sure would be ideal!

I'm really hoping that I might have some control over when the switch takes place (even if that is just in the form of rebooting my DSL router to kick in the new IPs when I'm ready to roll).

I'm hoping that might be the case, but I can't find any info anywhere to confirm this fact.

Cheers,
Graham
Community Veteran

Raise a contact us ticket and ask.
madswitcher
Grafter

At a risk of high-jacking the thread, how do you set up your own DNS server - and why?

Please feel free to move this thread if appropriate

Thanks, Mike
N/A

Hi-jack away! Cheesy

The "how" part is tricky, as it varies greatly depending on what platform you want to use (e.g. Linux, Windows?). I'm running Linux on my server, which uses what I would call the "industry standard" name server software which is called "Bind". You can probably get a number of DNS server packages for Windows but I am not familiar with any of them.

Configuring bind (or probably any nameserver for that fact) requires a pretty good working knowledge of how DNS works and I wouldn't recommend attempting to setup your own DNS server in a hurry, without first getting reasonably comfortable with the way the system works. Here's a link that got me started:

http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO-5.html

The above document goes into configuring Bind, but it has some very good "dry theory" at the top which applies to any DNS server package.

The "why" part of your question is a little easier to answer. Smiley One thing I should point out straight up, is that unless you have your own domain name(s), running your own DNS isn't really going to do a great deal for you.
I have a number of domain names and a) it costs me nothing by hosting them myself on my DSL link and b) it's educational if you want a good understanding of the way the internet works and c) it gives you the ultimate in control of the way your domain works (with the added complexity that brings too of course).

HTH.
madswitcher
Grafter

Thanks for the explanation and link there - some interesting stuff.

regards, Mike
N/A

Just for the benefit of others than maybe wondering about this, I have now completed the migration to multiple IPs with minimal downtime.

I was correct in my assumption that the new block of IP's does not effect the active DSL connection until such time as the router is rebooted. This enabled me to time my outage when I could update DNS and make the necessary changes to my config.

I have to say, PlusNet have yet again excelled themselves in their ticket response time! I submitted the request for an 8 IP block at around 6pm in the evening and the following morning, when I checked e-mail, it had been actioned and setup!! Can't ask for more than that!!
hal9000
Dabbler

I would just like to add that we regularly request static IPs for our clients (we are an IT support customer) and normally get them within an hour or two of requesting them.

It really does not take them long, unlike BT! nd it is free, on business accounts at least.