Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All the help I can get please

ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Hi
When I signed up with Plusnet (knowing very little about adsl) I went for the usb modem package with the intent of buying a new up todate computer,however after having to give up work due to spinal problems a few yrs back I'd rather keep costs down if poss.

After much reading I now think I can use adsl with the computer I have.
The computer has Windows 95 osr2b build.
ADSL will be used for single pc only.

(1) If I get a pci ethernet card,cable,and modem/router can anyone confirm that
I'm right ??.

(2) Can anyone recommend a modem/router that has all that is required to work with **Plusnet** (thinking chap authentication here).

Using static ip.

(3) One that is *simple* to set up and maybe where to obtain.

I have Nortons internet security installed.

My line was enabled today and can't wait to get off this dial-up,but unable to do anything till sure line passed.

*Please*keep it as simple as possible(getting old,but got to try adsl before going toes up :-) .

Many thanks
Barry
7 REPLIES
N/A

(1) You are right. Win '98 is fine, '95 is ok too.

(2) +Net sent me a Solwise SAR 110 - I think it's a great bit of kit - big fan Cheesy

(3) Just use your fav. search engine to find best price deal or maybe try eBay - you might pick up a bargain.

Hope this helps.
N/A

Bought a Sar 110 direct from Solwise, no probs, works great.

Best bit though they have their own forum where you can get help when you need it.
N/A

N/A

bought a D-link dsl-500 , easiest thing to set up, works great, njot had one problem, got it from ccl computers Smiley

marc
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Hi
Many thanks for all your replies and suggestions.
Made my mind up ans ordered the sar 110 and pci ethernet card and soon the fun begins :? .
A little worried when I read in this group(I think) ,setting up the sar110, not for the faint hearted.Oh well ,who was it that said * I'll be back*

Many thanks
Barry

[Moderators note (by Thomas): unnecessary UBBC tags removed.
Oh, and it's Arnold Schwarzeneger. Wink]

Moderators note (By John) Thought it was General Paton or was that "I will return" meaning the Phillapine's?
N/A

Hi Barry,

My router turned up with no CD or anything. All you'll probably need is right here...

http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=242

and there's a good bit of reading here...

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2003/q1/sar_110.asp

something to do while you wait for the kit to arrive

Spenser.
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

Barry.

I've had a SAR110 installed since April. It can be set up in about 5 minutes and works well. The only problems I have had are when I try to get "clever". Even then the problem is with other equipment. Shockedops:

Regards :-)